Chapter 6 - Tough Decisions

Governor's Residence, Late Afternoon

Planet Hydra, Strolla System

Terra Date: 10-12-2201

Victor did his best to keep the pressures of his job as Governor at the office. He chose to be married and have children, and he did not want to neglect them. Victor didn't want to fall into the trap of being absent—physically or mentally—from his family. If he wasn't careful and determined, he could easily spend all of his time dealing with the never-ending demands of work.

He had a routine. He would play with his children every day upon returning home, even if it were for just a short time. He knew his kids looked forward to that part of their day, and he wanted them to have happy childhood memories with their father. He did whatever he could to protect his family life. Yet, as Governor, he still tried his best to be accessible and available to the people of the various settlements in the System. That was part of the job, but he would leave it in a minute if his career were to ever infringe upon his family's happiness.

The Belter home was modern and appropriately sized for a family of five. Builders used local materials in its construction, including Hydran glass windows. Beatrice had wanted it painted an elegant and tasteful white. The interior had every modern convenience shipped straight from Terra, and there were communication screens in every room of the house. Victor was never out of touch with the outside world unless he went outside for a stroll, but even then, it was not for long.

When he got home, his family was relaxing in the back yard. He grabbed his portable computer and went out back to join them.

As he set up his computer on the table in the yard, a ball bounced down in front of him. Victor smiled.

"Dad! Here!" Jonathan shouted.

He tossed the ball back to his son, sending it flying high over little Amy's head, the 'monkey in the middle'. He enjoyed being able to see his children grow up but was only now getting used to playing with just the two younger ones. His oldest also enjoyed playing ball with his father, but he was away at his first year of Space Academy on Terra. Less than ten minutes into the game, however, a message from the computer beckoned Victor's attention.

"I have an urgent message for Governor Belter," a voice repeated several times before he managed to get over to it.

"Hold on, Jonny," he told his son, raising his hand and turning toward the device. He ran over and punched a button. A soldier's face appeared on the screen. He recognized the man as one of the military base's traffic controllers and acknowledged, "Governor Belter here."

"Sir, Colonel Hand's shuttle is on its way to pick you up," the controller said, a tone of urgency in his voice.

"Why?" Belter asked. "What's going on?"

"Sir, all I know is that there's been an accident at the lab."

Before he finished speaking, a roar filled the air. Victor turned to see a shuttle flying low over the trees behind his home. It flared up to a smooth landing on the grassy open space nearby. He frowned at the intrusion.

Lopez and Walters rushed down the shuttle's ramp to meet him with their guns drawn. Victor shook his head and sighed rather than voicing his objections.

"What's going on, Victor?" Beatrice asked as she stepped off the patio to stand beside her three family members.

"There's just a problem at the lab. I'll take care of it. Hopefully, it won't be long," Victor said to reassure her.