X. DEAD MAN WALKING

CHAPTER TEN
( DEAD MAN WALKING )

CHAPTER TEN( DEAD MAN WALKING )

LUTHER BARNETT KNEW THAT it was over for him the moment he heard whispers in the hallway that James Potter was looking for him. He knows that James and Estelle are close. And he's figured that he probably knows all about their brief past, and the cruel words he happened to say to her when she caught him with another girl (who he honestly can no longer remember the name of). There's no way James would let that go, especially considering how protective he is of his friends.

So it comes as no surprise when James strolls down the hallway and immediately loses the smile on his face the second Barnett appears in his line of vision. The rest of the Marauders stand behind him, distancing themselves as soon as they see Barnett and notice how James' entire demeanor changes. Even Sirius, who loves getting involved with these things, but refuses to now because he truly can't remember the last time he saw James look this angry.

"Barnett!" James yells as he approaches Luther in the corridor. "You absolute prick! And to think, I actually thought you were a decent bloke?"

"Sorry to shatter your dreams, Potter," Luther rolls his eyes, causing James to glare at him. "I'm not quite sure what you want me to do about it." He's egging him on. He knows it, and he knows he'll regret it later when he ends up in the Hospital Wing because James Potter punched him in the face for the way he spoke about his best friend.

"I want you to fucking apologize, and I want you to do it today. No one deserves what you did to her, least of all Estelle." James seethes, his voice low so that only Barnett can hear him.

Luther stands his ground. Seemingly unaffected by James' tone, he says, "I don't see what good that does. The past is in the past, the damage has been done." He simply shrugs.

"You hurt her! You were a a dickhead! She deserves an apology!"

"She's not getting one."

Crack. A few bystanders gasp when James' fist makes contact with Luther's nose, but neither James nor Luther are surprised. Somehow, they both knew it would come to this. "You're not even sorry, are you?" James grumbles, hearing footsteps running down the corridor. It's most likely McGonagall, ready to give him detention for the rest of the month.

"It's like you said, Potter. I'm an absolute prick. That's not gonna change." Luther says, void of emotion as he holds onto his nose. His shirt is covered in blood, and no one has bothered to try and help, too invested in watching the scene before them play out.

"BOYS! What is the meaning of this?" McGonagall looks like she's about to have a heart attack, Madam Pomfrey trailing behind her and rushing over to Luther. The situation at hand becomes clear and she sighs. "Potter. My office. Now."