nine: no way, jo-say!

2009

"You still got me 'round your finger even though you're far away

"You still got me 'round your finger even though you're far away."

Jo blew gently on her nails in hopes of drying the rose taupe-colored polish. She sat on the floor of her bedroom, cell phone tucked neatly between her ear and shoulder, as Emily rambled on about something embarrassing Hanna did at Lucky Leon's.

"I mean everyone saw her underwear," Emily cried out on the other side. Jo could imagine she was in bed, her head near the footboard with her feet on the wall. "It was terrible. An absolute nightmare. And Alison made her feel so bad about it!"

"Poor Han. Ali's never going to let her catch a break."

"But the worst part is Sean was there. Total sweetheart he is, he helped her up and acted like she didn't just face-plant with a half dozen red velvet cupcakes in her hands."

"Did her face go bright red?" Jo chuckled as she pictured the scene. She was glad she hadn't seen it. She loved Hanna but there was no doubt that she would've laughed and made everything worse.

"Borderline tomato."

Jo pushed her hand out in front of her face, checking for chips or scrapes. When her inspection was finished and she deemed them perfect, she twisted the cap on her nail polish and set it on her vanity. She stood from the floor, looking at herself in the mirror, and prodded at the white pore strip on her face.

There was an obnoxious tapping from outside the house. Jo paused, listening out for the sound before walking to her window and sliding it open. She nearly dropped the phone two stories when she noticed Jason with a handful of rocks on the ground. She interrupted Emily's mildly uninteresting story about the girls' swim team, "I'm going to have to call you back, Em."

"Oh, okay. Love yo—" She slapped her phone shut before Emily could finish her sentence.

"Are you freaking insane?" Jo hissed to him, searching the outside for any onlookers. He dropped the rocks and moved to the trellis crawling upside her house.

"Move out of the way. I'm coming up."

She crossed her arms and she backed up a foot, allowing Jason to climb through the window a minute later. "You have some explaining to do."

She raised her eyebrows, jabbing a finger at his chest. "No, you have all the explaining to do. I haven't heard from you in weeks and now you're climbing up my fucking house like Spiderman. What gives?"

He ran a hand through his shaggy blond hair, and let out a frustrated groan. He pushed his way past her, settling himself on the edge of her bed. "You got with Ian."

"Ian?" She sputtered. "Ian Thomas?"

"What others do you know?" He spat. "Wait, don't answer that. You probably have a list."