nineteen: peace of my heart

2010

"I've done a lot of things wrong, loving you being one, but I can't move on"

The wood creaked beneath her bare feet as Jo entered the dining room. Her father was already dressed for the day, sipping slowly on a cup of black coffee. She settled in the seat to the left of him. Setting his cup on the table, he looked over at her and asked, "How did you sleep?"

"Turns out sleeping isn't as fun with a killer on the loose." She grumbled as she rolled her head in a circle to release the tension in her neck. After last night's escapades, there was much to consider about everything. The gang was getting closer and closer to finding Ian, but that brought up the risk of exposing what happened in the pharmacy. As ready as she was for everything to be over with, Jo knew it would be hard to keep up the lies. Little fires were getting started everywhere she looked and the flames were starting to burn. "Lot more tossing and turning."

Her mother, having heard everything from the kitchen, rounded the corner with a steaming plate of French toast in her hand. Having no job brought out the chef in her it seemed. "Well, maybe a sleep aid is something you could talk about at your appointment today."

Jo snorted, "You talking Ambien?"

"I'm not sure medication is the best option." Jo's father shut down the idea with a quickness, staring his wife in the eyes. "We'll talk about it later."

"Pause, did you just say appointment? " Jo caught on as soon as the plate was placed in front of her. This was a ploy. Her mother rarely made French Toast anymore unless it was a birthday. This was all a distraction from the bomb that was about to be dropped. Pushing the plate away from her, Jo chose to not be sugared up quite literally.

"It's nothing," Her mom smiled, brushing it all off. "Anyway, I called Pam this morning."

"And you both decided that it was abuse to isolate your daughters from the social interaction that is highly beneficial to their growth as a person?" Jo leaned back in her chair, pulling her knees to her chest to hold them. "I read somewhere that social isolation can impair immune function and leads to heart disease."

"I don't believe that."

"Why not?"

"For one, it implies that you read anything other than text messages on your phone." Her mother smirked as she pushed the plate back in front of Jo. "Two, just because you are having space from a negative relationship does not mean that your heart is going to stop working."

Jo sighed before grabbing her fork and knife, cutting in. As she took the first bite and felt the sweet syrup bring her taste buds to life, she was screwed. What was coming next was going to be a pain in the ass. Furrowing her eyebrows, she looked to her mom, "Spit it out, then."

"Pam spoke with the other parents, and it turns out Dr. Sullivan's been seeing the other girls separately. It's helping tons."

She shot up from her chair, pushing the plate away from her. "You told me it was nothing."