Tre

Paige and Lauren eyed me in silence, but with immensely different expressions on each of their faces.

While Lauren looked as if she were about to burst into laughter from the situation she clearly thought was funny, Paige looked as if a taboo had occurred. 

“Wait, so let me get this straight,” Paige said. I cringed as her expression turned into one of vigor. “You didn’t care to ask your employers what their surname was? Girl, you’re crazy! What if they were killers? Oh, wait! Their son is already one!”

“Paige, that’s a rumor.” I exhaled loudly, narrowing my eyes at a laughing Lauren.

“Oh gosh, I’m sorry,” Lauren breathed. She straightened a few of the pencils on her desk. “This is just so funny. E, remember the next time you get a job, ask for your boss’s last name.”

Truth was I simply didn’t care about anything other than the money when I applied for the job. Looking back now, I realized how idiotic and careless I had been. Knowing the most you could about your employer was just as important as knowing as much as you could about your employee.

Now, it was clear to me why nobody else applied for the job and why Natalia and Paul offered such a great salary. They offered a good pay as an incentive for people to apply no matter how scared they were of their son.

“You need to quit,” Paige finally announced. I hitched my eyebrows up at her statement. “Don’t raise your eyebrows at me. I’m just concerned over your safety like a good best friend.”

“Quit?” Lauren asked in incredulity. “Don’t you think that’s going overboard, Paige? I think Noah deserves a chance and you shouldn’t make such quick assumptions if you don’t even know half the story.”

“Exactly,” I cried, smacking my desk. “Finally! Somebody who feels the same way!”

Paige simply rolled her eyes. “Point is, he was accused of killing his brother. Doesn’t that mean anything to you two?”

“Would they let a murderer run around town?” I asked and smirked when Paige groaned.

“So you’re not going to quit?”

“No. That’s ridiculous. I need to help Evan.”

“Speaking of Evan, when are you going to make your move on that hombrecaliente?” Paige winked at Lauren, fanning her face with her hand. Ignoring my look of disgust, Paige said, “Well, your brother is hot.”

“We’re just friends,” Lauren sighed, but I didn’t miss the look of disappointment that crossed her features.

Paige snorted. “Yeah right, Lauren. I think – “

The bell rang for first period, silencing Paige’s previous statement. Lauren stood up from behind her desk and walked to the front of the room to welcome her students. She pointed a finger at the both of us.