Chapter Thirty-Two

Benny had his back to the door as he zipped up his jeans

Benny had his back to the door as he zipped up his jeans. The first thing he did once he got back to his room changed out of his uniform as quickly as possible. He had a busy evening. All his belongings were packed; the TV wasn't docked on the wall anybody and the bedding was ripped off the bed and stuffed in a trash bag by the opened door. All he had to do now was talk the posters off the wall before Malachi showed up, which would be in a couple of minutes since he received a text from the prompt boy nine minutes ago.

"Where are you off too?" A deep voice startled Benny.

Benny shot around to see Brad—out of uniform in jeans and t-shirt, leaning against the doorframe.

"I'm moving to the dorms...on campus," Benny answered as he slid his wallet in his back pocket. "My brother's picking me up."

"You have a brother. It's not in the records your doctor gave me," Brad riffled through the folder he had under his arm as if the information was hidden.

Benny jerked the leather jacket off the chair, "There's a lot about me that's not in my record." Benny grabbed his phone off the bed. "Why are you here?"

"Fulton's case is closed." Brad entered the room, peering at everything with a skeptical eye. "I'm sure you already know about that."

Benny's eyes rolled to one side as he contemplated, "No...I don't know and why would I."

Brad huffed as he dug in the folder. He retrieved a high-gloss sheet and held it out toward Benny. Benny hesitated a little then took the sheet from Brad.

Benny flipped the slick sheet over and discovered it was a picture, which made his pupils dilate and teeth clench. His hand slid across the picture. The flash sought out her emerald eyes and shined like stars in the midnight sky. Her fiery red locks plunged down her slender back. She was the majestic beauty Irish folktales were written about. But the man holding her hand was plain. Don't rush for the paper, forget the pin, there was nothing you needed to write about him. He was a pauper standing next to a princess, with his baseball cap and an overdone tan. Unfortunately, to some he was important but to Benny, he was the secret he kept. The thing he hid.

"Fulton." Benny gasped. "You...found him" He looked up from the picture with dazzling eyes and an excited smile. "I thought.... you thought someone killed him or whatever." He handed the picture back to Brad.

"I guess I was wrong." He snatched the photo from Benny with an irked leer. Brad placed the photo back in the folder then matched his eyes on Benny's. "I'm watching you, Benjamin Alexander Lemen with the secret brother."

Benny laughed as he pulled his cell out of his pocket to read the text. "Well, damn, you know my full government name. Good work Detective Doolittle." Benny advanced for the hallway then came back and stood in the doorway. "Anything you touch is inadmissible in a court of law and I'll have your badge." He backed away from the door and paced down the hallway. His frantic fingers typed a text on his phone and then tapped send.

Isabeth: We have a situation. Meet me at Hollow Creek. Two hours.

Who is the redhead in the picture? Where did the picture come from?