❅Chapter 23❅

I choked on the relief that swelled in my chest, my knees buckling. Tears stung my eyes as I gazed at Foster, standing pin-straight like any General should. His eyes were shards of ice, his mouth pressed into a thin line. He was wearing armor that I'd never seen before. It was of an ebony so deep it almost seemed as if the metal consumed the light that touched it, not reflect it. He wore no helmet or gauntlets, but instead, a breastplate that bore a symbol of an owl and a wolf, twined together in an everlasting circle.

His eyes flickered to mine for a moment, and I saw the raw emotion there. He was hurting. A muscle in his jaw feathered.

Thunder roared outside, and it was then that I noticed the second man.

Sebastian didn't look anything like the man I had stumbled beside a few months ago. Time had strengthened his spine, his shoulders and neck bulged with muscle, and his eyes held the firm intensity that I was so used to. Seeing him like this - like himself - stole my breath away.

His eyes met mine under his ebony bangs, and I couldn't help but whisper his name. "Sebastian."

I regretted it as soon as the words slipped past my lips. A look of hurt flashed across Foster's face, almost as if I'd slapped him. I bit my lip.

"Well isn't this fun," Mab cooed. She drug a nail lazily around the rim of the goblet. "Both of your boy toys in one place, Daughter."

I swallowed. I wasn't sure what to do. Mab still had her damn force field up, or whatever it was that was keeping me stuck to the spot. I couldn't advance towards her, but I could move back.

I stood and took a step backwards.

One of her perfect eyebrows rose. "Giving up that easily, yes?"

"Give it up, Mab. It's over. Our forces are storming the castle - no one's coming to save you."

Mab laughed, picking up the goblet once more. "Give up? Oh honey, after I take a sip from this goblet, I won't need an army."

Foster's eyes landed on the goblet, and his face went slack before it became an emotionless mask - something he was very good at. But I knew him well enough that I saw what lay underneath: fear.

Mab smirked. "You recognize it, don't you?"

Foster opened his mouth, but Bash took a step forward, his golden eyes blazing. "Give me back my memories."

Mab's eyes went wide for a moment before she tipped her head back and laughed. Tapping her claws on the side of the goblet, she cocked her head. "You know what, I like you."

He advanced another step. "Give them back."

This time Mab's eyes were on me. She set the goblet back on the pedestal for a moment, only to raise her amulet from between her breasts. Her crystal eyes went from me to Bash, and then back again. "You know, that might not be a terrible idea."

My heart stopped. Looking over my shoulder at Foster, I begged him with my eyes to understand. I intended to tell Sebastian about his sister. I really did. But now wasn't the time to bring up the past. I had no idea how he would react, - he may lash out, or shut down. Either way, how could I reach him when I was trying to fight for my life? For his? For his little brohter's?

Clance.

I sucked in a breath. I had almost completely forgot about the little Count of Night. Foster nodded, as if he knew what I was trying to say.

Just as Mab brought the amulet to her lips and whispered something I couldn't make out over the distance, Foster sprang into action.

But not before I saw the understanding and grief flood Bash's eyes. And then he looked at me.