Chapter 36: Driving

Becca

She was beautiful. That was the first thought that passed through my mind when I saw her standing there.

Long black hair, straight as a pin, flowed all the way down to her waist. Her face was framed by front bangs, ending in a sharp edge just above her eyebrows. Full lips. Dark, beautiful skin. Bright eyes with eyelashes so long I could see them even with the distance between us. Her lips were stretched into a smile, exposing her teeth that had a little gap between the front two.

It's safe to say I felt like a garbage can in comparison.

I instantly knew she was Brett's ex-girlfriend. He didn't have to tell me. The look on both of their faces told me more than enough.

Of course she was Brett's ex-girlfriend.

Of course he would have dated someone as beautiful as her.

I wondered if he loved her. If he still loves her. How they met. When they broke up. How long they dated for. I couldn't seem to shut my mind off.

She ran towards him. Wrapping her arms around my boyfriend's neck as my hand slipped out of his. Did I let his hand go or did he let go of mine? I had no clue how much time had passed since they last saw each other, but the way she was holding onto him for dear life told me that it had been a while.

That was a good sign, right?

Jade was beaming up at him as she unwrapped herself from his arms, her mouth moving rapidly as she held onto Brett with both her hands. Her name was Jade and now I could see why. Her eyes were a bright green, shimmering like emeralds as she stared up at him adoringly.

Jade acted with such ease around Brett. She didn't hesitate to touch him, to throw her arms around his neck and pull him to her. She was familiar with him. They shared something special once upon a time.

She definitely loved him. I knew it instantly. Or maybe she loves him.

I was vaguely aware of Brett gesturing to me as Jade's eyes met mine for the first time, finally noticing my presence. I couldn't seem to process what he was saying. Brett was watching me, concerned. I stared at him frozen.

She was standing too close to him. Her hand was still on his arm, possessively. I had never felt burning jealousy before, but now I understood why Brett punched Parker. I understood completely. Watching her with Brett made a storm rage inside of me. I didn't want her touching him or hugging him. Brett wasn't mine, he wasn't an object that I could own and stamp my name onto. But in a way, he was mine just as I was his. And I did not like this one bit.

"Becca?" Brett asked, his voice finally registering. I peeled my eyes off of Jade and looked at him. He walked towards me slowly, hesitantly, and wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Are you alright?" He whispered in my ear, low enough for Jade not to hear. I nodded in response, swallowing my emotions and turning towards Brett's ex-girlfriend.

I forced a polite smile onto my face. Well, at least I hoped it looked polite - it was probably more of a grimace.

"It's nice to meet you," I lied. "I'm Becca." Pause. "Brett's girlfriend," I added, emphasizing the last word.

Jade smiled at me, just as brightly as she smiled at Brett. Her eyes flickered between the two of us for a moment before she responded - probably wondering what the hell Brett was doing with someone like me.

"It's nice to meet you as well!" She sounded completely sincere when she spoke, making it even harder for me to dislike her. If she was rude, then it would be easy. But she never seemed to stop smiling and she carried herself with the same natural ease that Brett did. "I had no idea you had a girlfriend, Brett." She continued, her eyes moving back to his.