Chapter 49: Too

Becca

The door to the locker room opened and out came Brett. His eyes immediately found mine and his face broke out into a smile. He looked radiant, like he had swallowed the sun and its light was spilling out of his every pore.

My heart was beating so quickly I was expecting someone in the crowd to turn to me and say tell your heart to quiet down, would you? My palms were sweating, the world felt like it was shrinking around me as Brett made his way closer, his eyes locked on mine the entire time.

The crowd parted for him as he walked through it. People were slapping him on the back, holding their hands up for high fives, yelling congratulations and other words of admiration, but Brett didn't acknowledge any of them. His eyes and his smile were directed only at me, as if everything else faded away and we were the only ones here in this moment.

I blinked and he was standing in front of me, too perfect to be real. I could see the droplets of water sliding off his hair and down his cheek. I could smell his soap and his freshly washed skin.

"You came," was all he said, his eyes searching mine desperately, as if he were expecting me to disappear any second.

"Brett, I-" My apology was cut short because before I knew it, Brett was kissing me. And not just a soft, slow kiss, but the type of kiss that we most definitely should not be sharing in front of all these spectators. I stood there frozen, and then my instincts kicked in and I couldn't help myself.

I kissed him back, knotting my fingers desperately in his hair and pulling his face even closer to mine. Brett's hand slid down to the small of my back and he leaned forward into me, my body leaning backwards until I was dipped over and his hands were the only thing holding me up.

I couldn't breath, my lungs needed air but my heart needed Brett. I held his face in my hands, marvelling at how real and how mine he was. His tongue brushed against my lips, enticing me to open my mouth for him. I stilled, hesitant to kiss him like that right here.

Oh, what the hell. People were watching, might as well give them something to talk about.

I parted my lips and Brett's tongue was everywhere, mingling with mine in a slow dance. People were whistling, cheering, screaming words I couldn't make out. But all that noise was secondary, the only thing that mattered right now was the boy I was in love with. 

"Get it, Wells!" Someone in the crowd yelled, interrupting our moment. I smiled against Brett's mouth, pulling my face apart from his as I laughed harder than I had in a while. He was watching me so intently, his blazing with a love so fierce. After a second, Brett chucked too, rolling his eyes at me as he held his middle finger up to the person in the crowd, then leaning in and kissing me again slowly as the spectators erupted.

My heart had left my chest at this point, if I looked up into the sky I could probably see it flying past the moon and into another galaxy.

I stared at Brett. He stared at me. We didn't say a word, we simply stared at each other with these gigantic, goofy smiles on our faces and it was like the last piece of our puzzle clicked into place. Just like that, we were back.

Brett grabbed my hand and leaned forward, speaking into my ear loudly so I could hear him over the crowd. "Can we please go somewhere to talk?"

In that moment, I would have gone anywhere with him. To the ends of the earth and back again. Wherever he wanted to go, I was there in a heartbeat.

"Yes!" I shouted over the crowd, making Brett laugh, the booming kind of laugh that makes the world seem a little more alive.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me down the slope of the grass towards the parking lot. I could tell he was impatient to get away from the crowd, he was walking so quickly I was running to catch up.