iv. Iron Keys

लोहे की चाबियाँ[ Iron Keys ]

लोहे की चाबियाँ
[ Iron Keys ]

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

[ Istanbul ]

"While you carry sling rings that gives you power to sustain dimensional portals between any two points on the planet-"

Stephen glanced at the ring on his fingers.

" We carry the demir miftah," she fished out the similar silver key she had used the night they met, and it glinted against the impending rays of sunlight.

" Legend has it that these keys originated from the Ottoman Empire."

" It is written in the legend of Temir that one night he had found a strange stone that fell from the sky , and with it he crafted the first iron sword , and the first demir miftah . Today, the word "demir" means "iron".

" You're saying that this key," Stephen pointed a finger at it," Is made out of a meteorite?"

" You can say that. It allows us to harness our energy, to use it to travel in between worlds," She slid the key against the keyhole," You just need to concentrate, and visualize where you want to go."

She turned it sideways, and with a click, the door opened , greeting them with the sight of the ocean. The salty wind whipped back her hair, as the distant squawks of seagulls surrounded them.

Before Stephen could ask the difference between them, she beat him to it.

" Even if the sling rings are more efficient, due to the fact that it doesn't make use of doors. The demir miftah can open portals that the sling rings cannot, reach for dimensions it cannot reach."

" Despite of being made from mystical materials, the sling ring's power can only reach to a certain extent. The material has only come in contact with this dimension, thus it can only reach other neighboring dimensions.While the ore that lies within the demir mitfah can reach throughout space and time. For it originated from the deepest nebulas, and the brightest stars."

She closed the door shut, and pulled out the key.

" Did you say that it can reach throughout dimensions across space and time ?"

" Yes," she smirked," You're a fast learner. The eye of Agammoto can manipulate time - allowing you to change the past and shape the future. It is dangerous, because you are directly in contact with it. Unlike the demir mitfah, that allows us to merely open gaps and loops in time-"

" And you still have the power to close those loops," he trailed off, and the image of him opening a wound before stitching it back close appeared in his head.

" Like surgery, isn't it?"

" How'd you know ?"

" A guess," she shrugged," That is what makes the demir mitfah dangerous - it allows you to cheat the laws of time. Giving you the opportunity to tamper with time,without facing the consequence. That is why, it must not fall into the wrong hands."

He nodded," It can also trap you."

" Yes. Like your sling ring, without it you cannot exit a dimension you have entered. Nor will it do any good if you leave the portals open, that is why you should never forget to close the doors."

She patted the wooden surface, twirling the key between her fingers.

" Here, have a try. It's not as easy as it looks," she handed him the key, and Stephen regretted doubting her because she was right.

It was difficult.

Bloody difficult.

Through countless of tries he ended up failing, every time he opens the door, he would only be greeted by the same dull hallway. Soon the minutes turned to hours, and the hours grew into days.

And the days bled to weeks. It's been a week and two days now, and he still came up empty handed.

He rested his head against the door, yanking the key out of the hole. He growled in frustration," This is difficult."

" But not impossible."

He turned to see her holding a tray of tea," Surely you need a break."

" Surely you're mocking me."

She chuckled," Patience, Stephen. I told you, you'll most likely accomplish it sooner than I did."

" How long did it take you?"

She sipped her chamomile tea," Three years, six weeks and two days."

" Brilliant."