33 | expecting

33 | EXPECTING

The next morning, Calista felt great

The next morning, Calista felt great. She had a doctor's appointment and needed to be there quite early, so she was awake before anyone else was. Calista had rushed out of the house to make it to her doctor's office on time.

The moment she arrived, many nurses escorted her to a laboratory to draw her blood. Once they took a sample of her blood, they sent to another room for measurements; then they finally left her in the consultation room.

Calista was left to her own thoughts as she waited for her physician to come into the room. Calista thought about many things, she thought about how, soon, Michael's 30th Anniversary of his Solo Career was coming up and she needed to recruit some entertainers to perform at the concert. She thought about Venus and Gisele's school's fundraiser was going to happen soon and she had committed to performing for the school for a quick five minute routine. Her mind simply seemed to be consumed with things she needed to do for her family.

Calista's thoughts were interrupted when her doctor had finally arrived in the room. Her doctor had the brightest smile spread across her face and she seemed enthusiastic to see Calista. "Mrs. Jackson." The doctor greeted with a curt nod.

"Dr. Jacque." Calista smiled warmly back at her doctor.

"I wasn't informed that you were expecting before you came here." The doctor mentioned as she began to scribble something down on the neatly organized clipboard.

Calista didn't hear the doctor correctly and simply nodded. "Yeah, I was expecting you." Calista scoffed, jokingly.

The doctor furrowed her brows and looked up at Calista. "No, I mean I didn't know you were expecting... a child..." The doctor clarified.

Calista chuckled, assuming that the doctor was joking. However, when she saw how serious the doctor was staring at her like, her chuckled diminished and she gulped. "I— I am pregnant?" Calista asked, her hand beginning to shake, nervously.

The doctor nodded her head slowly. Calista's mouth fell open, making an 'O' with her parted lips. She was shocked that she hadn't known such a wonderful thing was going to happen to her. "But... again? I have to go through labor again?" Calista groaned, slumping in her chair.

The doctor laughed. "Yes, Mrs. Jackson. How else are the babies going to get out?" The doctor rolled her eyes.

Calista shot up in her seat. "Did you just say... babies, plural?" Calista growled.

The doctor sucked in a sharp breath. "Did I forget to mention that the DNA results showed more than one genetic code lingering inside of you?"

* * *

When Calista arrived back home, she threw herself onto the couch. She needed a few moments to herself before she announced to Michael that, yet again, she was pregnant. She knew Michael would have been happy, but Calista didn't know if she really wanted to go through raising babies again, for her kids were already grown up to be quite independent.

Michael had been fidgeting with a new camera he had bought in the kitchen when he spotted Calista laying on the couch. Michael wandered over to Calista and pointed the camera at her, then began to film her just as the instruction manual had taught him to.

Calista looked into the camera tiredly, wondering how she was going to tell Michael that they were to have more children. "Michael," she began, "remember how you said you wanted more kids?"

Michael smiled and continue to film his wife. "Yes, with you of course." He nodded.

Calista huffed. "Well... your wish has been granted." Calista's lip twitched upward into a distorted smile.

Michael, puzzled, knitted his brows together. "I'm pregnant, Michael." Calista made it clear to him that she was going to have another child, but not that it was going to be more than one.

"That's wonderful." Michael gasped, turned off the camera then hugged Calista.

"Yeah, yeah. Well, the doctor said it's more than one." Calista sucked in air through her teeth.

Michael's eyes widened. "I swear I don't have any twins in my family, I'm pretty sure those genetics are coming from you." Michael threw his arms up in the air in defense.

Calista eyes him carefully, then hummed. "Whatever you say, Michael. But, you're going to be the one dealing with me when I'm swollen, sore and sour." Calista winked at him playfully, feeling satisfied with her play on words.

Michael chuckled, then placed a quick kiss on her forehead. He got up and placed a hand on her stomach. "They're going to be beautiful, just like our other babies... just like you." Michael caressed Calista's face, then wandered back into the kitchen to continue playing with the camera.