Chapter 1

“Alright Mrs.Cyborsons, the adoption files have been processed. The government sees you both as fit to taking care and having the ability to support the girl. Do you wish to see her now?” Machiel Cyborson nodded excitedly, accepting the thin plastic file displaying the statement of adoption. Taking the file she typed her name at the bottom before handing it back to the young woman who was worked at the Kalmx Toddler Adoption Center. The blond woman checked over her signature before nodding and getting up. Leading the excited new mother to the ward where the children were kept under the watchful eyes of volunteers and nurses.

    “We refrained from naming her, allowing you and your wife the honors. Remember the decision does not need to be immediate but there is a time period of 7 days to decide until she is given a government issued name.” Machiel nodded her agreement, waiting for the woman to place her hand on her hand scanner by the door before the automatic doors swung inwards.

    “We are hoping to name our daughter after an interest that she shows.” The woman, nodded. Passing a file to a young boy who was earning his volunteer hours working at the center. The young brunette  disappears for a few moments, returning carrying a government insured baby carrier. A small child wrapped in a thermal blanket that adjusted to the child’s wanted heat. Cooling down when the chid got to hot and heating up when they got cold.

    The blond woman takes the carrier from the boy with a short thank you. Dismissing her to continue her work. Setting the carrier on the table, which instantly loved the carrier down in case of an earthquake or someone bumping into it, she unbuckles the small girl laying inside and passes her to Mrs. Cyborson with a teasing twinkle in her eyes. “Congratulations, its a girl.”

    Machiel laughs, gratefully taking the small child. Gently holding her in her arms. A huge grin displayed on her lips as if she found a long lost treasure. She gently ruffles the little girls thick black hair. Cooing as a small whimper escapes the little girls lips. Holding on to the precious gift a moment longer, she sets the girl back into the child carrier. Quickly buckling her up, showing off the skills she learned in the Baby Basics class that was required for anyone who wished to adopt.

    “We will send a hologram to check on her in two weeks. My assistant will message you the details. Other than that I believe you are free to take her home. I wish you and your wife luck with the addition to your family.” Even though the speech seemed rehearsed, the smile was genuine. Thanking the woman, Machiel picks the carrier up, which automatically unlocks itself and exits the building. All along telling her sleeping daughter how much she is going to be loved.

    Once she reaches her small apartment resting on the outskirts of town, she gets out her car and heads inside. Greeted by her equally excited wife. The small girl wakes up from the commotion and begins crying. Her wails quickly soothed by her new mother, Allison. Getting a self heating bottle of formula, she sucks greedily, her blue eyes staring into theirs. Her concentration from their stares shifting to the small blue lights running along the bottle. Her small hands reaching up attempting to catch the electric current. She spits out the bottle, her attention focused completely on the heating technology. Letting out a equal of laughter she attempts to catching it.

    Machiel laughs, petting her child's mess of black hair. “I think I figured out what we should name her.” Her wife looks up, a confused look on her face, waiting for her to continue. “Techna. Since you know, she's showing so much interest in technology.”

    Allison nods. “Techna Cyborson. I like it. A beautiful name for a beautiful girl.” Techna laughs. Seemingly agreeing to their decision. Allison sits down on the couch, Techna still in her arms. Machiel holding out her phone in front of the 3 month old girl as she squealed with pleasure of being in such close proximity of the bright changing lights that illuminated the screen.