Chapter Eighteen

Sang

Sang

The trip back to Zalfari went smoothly. Jay and I stayed silent most of the way, both not wanting to shout over the deafening sounds of wings and the distinct howl of the wind. The sheer amazement I felt the day before during my first fly didn't ease any. I didn't think I'd ever get tired of it.

When we reached the outskirts of the village, I sent Jay on his way to town so he could find the Blackbourne team and tell them whatever news he had. I needed to get ready for the summer festival and I didn't feel like getting scolded by them for leaving by myself.

Zalfari had four festivals every year, one for each season. The one coming up at nightfall was to celebrate the beginning of summer—the time our crops would finally flourish. Farmers always brought tons of food to the market and cooked up delicious meals for purchase. 

I wanted to look extra nice this evening, considering the fact that it would be my last night in the village, and possibly the last time I'd ever see these people. The thought had depression weighing heavily on my shoulders.

"It will be okay, Little One. You will see them again."

Just like that, the weight suddenly lifted. The bond of a dragon was truly incredible.

"Thanks, Gideon,"  I said and he hummed in reply.

I entered Henry and Janice's cottage without knocking and followed the rich scent of tea and spices to the kitchen. Janice was busy filling the kettle with water at the stove, and Henry was sitting at the table, his graying brows furrowed in concentration as he carved at a small piece of wood with a knife. His head whipped up at the sound of my footsteps and he released a big breath.

"Where've you been, girl? We were worried sick when you didn't come home last night. And what happened to your face?" He scowled and crossed his still muscled arms over his chest.

My steps faltered and my cheeks burned in shame. Not used to anyone caring enough at my old home, I didn't even think to let them know I would be out.

"I'm so sorry, Henry! I didn't even think to tell you. I'm just not used to..." I trailed off and looked at him with pleading eyes. Once his eyes softened, I knew that he understood what I was thinking. "I got to fly Gideon for the first time. We went all the way to Fang Mountain and by the time we got there, it was already dark, and it was too risky to fly back. As for the bruise on my face, it was only a misunderstanding. I met another rider."

"Another one?" Janice griped from the other side of the room. She was wearing a beautiful teal dress that flowed down to her feet in gentle waves, and her graying hair was tied up in an artistic bun on the top of her head. Henry was a lucky man. "How many is that now? Six?"