Chapter Thirty-Three

Owen

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Owen

Just once I wished I could make it through a whole school day without reports of one or more of my family members missing from class. Several weeks ago, I would've written it off as Luke escaping to the kitchen for a snack, or possibly Nate trading his challenging classes for time in the arena, but I knew this time was different. Kota never intentionally missed out on learning experiences, so after receiving reports of him being one of the wayward members it was obvious that something was off. 

Sean coughed into his hand and grinned, no doubt enjoying my irritation. "Did you also get reports of a missing blonde charmer?" 

I rubbed at my temples and turned in his direction. His grin was proud and arrogant. I immediately wanted to cut him a sharp reprimand. "Why would you ask that?" 

"Tao informed me of her departure from the school grounds. I figured she was off to have a secret meeting with one of the boys. As it turns out, it was three of the boys," he informed, his eyebrows tugging up and down. He somehow managed to not come off indecent. Still, I didn't dignify his suggestive statement with a response, I was instead stuck on a separate detail: My friend had let me stew in worry since getting the report, yet he didn't deem it necessary to share the information until now? I sighed through my nose. 

Several thoughts ran through my head as my eyes scanned the walls inside my office. They weren't personalized like the offices of most of the Academy's team leaders. There was only one painting that hung on the wall directly beside my sturdy wooden desk. It was gifted to me last year by my team, on the anniversary of my mother's death. It was a delicate rose, artistically painted by a small booth owner from the village market. I imagined it wasn't cheap. The fine attention to detail and impeccable lines spoke of the amount of time put into such a graceful piece. Sometimes I stared relentlessly at it, poetic thoughts whispering inside my head. It spoke of love and loss and crippling pain. It spoke of my life before the Academy. 

Tearing my eyes away, I shuffled some papers around and attempted to coax more information out of Sean. "In which direction was she headed?" 

"East, but that doesn't really matter, now does it?" he insinuated on a hearty laugh. 

"I suppose not." The girl was smart enough to know she had eyes on her. If those eyes didn't belong to the men on my team, then they belonged to our flying bond mates. It was likely she schemed us in the wrong direction. I wasn't going to make the senseless decision to send Victor and Gabriel out on a search into the wooded area outside the grounds for them to come up with nothing.

Saxon's mind nudged my own before he built a connection. His voice stayed stoic as he announced, "Luke is calling for a team meeting. Right now. Arena." Short and to the point, just how I preferred it. I stood from my chair and beckoned Sean to follow with a wave of my hand. "It would seem our unruly brother is calling. Let's get going."