Chapter Twenty-Six

Sang

Sang

A rotten stench of sulfur and steel hangs heavily in the air. If I had the option to stop breathing in the moisture-filled thickness, I would, but such an option was unachievable.

My legs have me moving forward to an area I cannot decipher, like they have a mind of their own. There's no light, only an inky black darkness that cloaks my vision entirely. Something doesn't feel right. My breaths are short and shallow, only nervous curiosity is powering my venture into the unknown. 

A harrowing cackle echoes from a short distance away. The sound is tortured and twinged with madness, making the short hairs on the back of my neck rise.

"You're here at last." This voice is deep and peaceful, a sharp contrast to the chuckles from only a moment before.

"Who are you and where am I?" I ask, voice steady and strong despite the growing fear threatening to cripple me.

"It is not who we are, but who you are, Tenebrous rider. We are one and the same," a different voice speaks. This one is fierce, male, and strong.

Hands reaching up the sleeve of my cloak, I attempt to grab a weapon, but nothing's there. I have nothing to protect myself with and no idea as to who, or what, I'm protecting myself from.

"Gideon?" I try reaching for the tether that links our minds, but I only reached an impenetrable wall. Panic makes my throat swell.

My legs stop just short of where the voices were coming from. I try to move, but my legs are stuck in placeWith no reprieve from the darkness, I stare forward. "One in the same," I taste the words on my tongue as I drag them out. "How?"

The same, crazed cackle from before echoes in the darkness, only this time, a voice to match follows. "You are us, and we are you. Past and present. Tried-and-true."

The man sounds like madness has taken over his own self, bending and warping his mind into something unrecognizable.

Before I could open my mouth and say something in response to the riddle, the strong, sure voice interrupts. "You will find out soon enough, Tenebrous rider. The dawn of a new time is arriving. Change their minds. Show them that a pairing like you and your dragon's is nothing to be afraid of."