2

Five years ago he had graduated Yale in the top five of his class. He had returned to Australia to get to grips with the family business. He had been there just over a year when his world came crashing down around him. A private jet crashed killing both his parents.
From that point it was all of a blur. The sense of loss was unbearable.  Unlike most society families, his was close. They talked everyday be it in person or on the phone. He wanted to take over and run the business. Then it all went wrong. From the moment the news broke it was a media nightmare. Everyone wanted answers and to have a comment from him. All he wanted was his family.
There wasn't much he could recall from that day. She had arrived within two hours of the news breaking and taken charge of him. He remembers nothing of leaving his office. It didn't even register with him who was saving him.

He woke the following day in an unfamiliar apartment with arms wrapped around him feeling safe. It was a welcome feeling as grief and despair had engulfed him. They were lying in bed and he heaved a sigh.
"You’re awake." She asked softly.
He couldn't believe his ears. His mind must be playing tricks on him. Surely it couldn't be. Slowly turning over to face her he let it sink in.
"Rory." He said his voice hoarse from the tears shed the day before. "What? How?" Was all he could manage.
"Hey Finn" She said and hugged him a little tighter. "You’re at my place. I hope you’re not mad about that, with all the media attention I thought it be best to get you somewhere unknown. I’ve been living here for six months. I....." she couldn't bring herself to say it.
"Thank you. How much do you know about what's going on?"
Tears filled her eyes. "A lot more than I should, Finn you need to know." She sighed a heavy sigh. "I was there. I saw it happen, my god Finn I really am so sorry for your losses. As soon as I was told the information about the plane I headed straight to you." Tears spilled down her face.
Shock had set in his eyes. He shifted his position on the bed and pulled her in so close that no space was left between them. They cried together. "Thank you. For being here, for getting me out and bringing me here. But mostly for caring enough about me to want to help."
"There's not a fiber in my body that would leave you to deal with this alone."
Finding comfort in each other’s arms they both drifted off to sleep.

                             oOoOo

He stood at the bar with his back to the room surrounded by his friends old and new. Tonight was about him and his accomplishments. The last few years had seen him go through a roller-coaster of emotions. Depression, despair and loss were at the top of the list. They had since been replaced by love, happiness and hope and that was all thanks to one woman. He had managed to pick himself up, with her help and support. His college friends were glad he had made contact again. It had been too long since they had seen each other.

"So who are you here with tonight?" Logan asked him.

"Well tonight my old friends," Finn started addressing the group in front of him. "You will have the pleasure of meeting my girlfriend."

Four stunned faces looked at Finn.

"Girlfriend" Logan asked laughing. "Since when do you have a girlfriend?"

"A lot has changed my friend. There is so much you don't know and so much I have to thank her for. She was there from the beginning of all the shit over the past three years. First as a concerned friend, then as more than that. I would even say I owe her my life. She became my reason for living and for that I am eternally grateful."

"Who is she?” Steph asked. "Someone we know?"

"Yes, you will defiantly know her. But she isn't the person she uses to be."

"Oh my" Robert stared appreciably at the woman that had just entered the ball room.

Colin turned his attention to where Robert was looking. "Is that?"

"Rory" Steph gasped in shock.

Logan looked up to see her for the first time in 5 years. Finn turned and grinned at her. His smile being returned with one of her own.

As she approached the group all eyes were on her. If it wasn't for Finn she would have been a bag of nerves. Five years had passed since she had seen four of the faces or even spoken to them. Now here she was faced with them again.

"Rory you look incredible. It's fantastic to see you again." Robert said obviously checking her out.

"Hello everyone Long time no see." She greeted standing next to Finn.

"Too long" Steph said hugging her. "’I’ve missed you."

"Missed you too Steph.  So what's new?"

"Well most shockingly on today's agenda is Finn having a new girlfriend." Colin joked.

"Oh, that's old news. Rory played along. And she's not new it's been what two and a half years now?" She asked looking at Finn.

Finn met her smile with his. "Everyone meet my girlfriend. Rory Gilmore." He leaned in and kissed her wrapping his arm around her waist.

Four stunned faces looked at the newly announced couple. "Well it's great to see you all. We will stop by later but for now. We have work to do." Rory said.

Finn nodded and placed his hand on the small of her back leading her into the crowd.