1

Life had been interesting for Rory Gilmore. After graduating in the top 5 percent of her year at Yale she had immediately started work on the campaign trail following senator Obama and his bid for presidency.
She had made great contacts and had really made a name for herself. The interviews she conducted with both Mr. Obama and his wife were widely picked up across the world. It was with only a few months to go she received an offer she couldn't possible ignore.

A company wanted her to be their correspondent. It was a multimedia company so she would be required to write, blog and even on occasion present the news for them. All based in Australia.
The decision had been a hard one to make. The campaign trail however had changed her. Thinking back to college and how life changed for her back then she was bought to the memory of the one event that had altered her initially.
The Life and death brigade event she had covered for the Yale daily news. Being part of the story and jumping from the scaffolding with the umbrella. A once in a lifetime experience but only if she wanted it to be.

In omnia paratus, Ready for anything.

And she was. Thanks to the campaign trail she had become more of a risk taker and had lost a lot of the shyness and reserved manner. She had become an independent woman with a strong opinion that she wasn't afraid to voice.

She accepted the offer and made the move to the land down under. It had been six months since she arrived. She stood at the edge of the tarmac at the private airstrip after seeing her mom and grandma onto the jet that was taking them back home. Turning to leave and heading back to her SUV she could hear the panic from the staff. People were running in all directions.
Ever the journalist she backed out of the way searching for what was causing so many people to be in chaos. Sirens could be heard from every direction.

A plane came into view. Seeing the events unfold before her Rory slid down the wall and covered her ears burying her head into her knees. The explosion rocked everything and the noise could be felt vibrating through her body. Unable to do anything else she looked up to see the damage that had just been done.
Laying on the runway was a ball of fire that was formerly a private jet. Tears streaked down her face at what she had just witnessed. She was the only person present that didn't work there.

A senior member of staff approached her. She had been sat by the wall for nearly an hour. Her phone was ringing constantly as she spoke to the man. Not hearing all the man was saying she cut across him.
"How many people were on the plane?"
"2 passengers and the pilot."
"Do you know who's plane it was and who was on board?"
"I'm not supposed to give out that information." He said eying her press pass attached to her.
"Off the record of course. It's hard to witness something so tragic and not have names to grieve for. Even if I don't know them."
The man looked uncertain. He sighed. "It was the Morgan Group company jet. The passengers were Mr. and Mrs. Morgan themselves."
At hearing the name Rory instantly felt sick. She ran to the trash can and immediately threw up.
The man followed looking very concerned.
"I need a town car or a driver and I need you to get me the address for Morgan HQ. And I mean now."
The man looked startled by the urgency in her voice but left to get her the car and address.
He was back in no time and led her to the waiting car. She gave him her contact details and left.

Once in the car Rory answered her phone. It was her boss calling regarding the downed plane.
"Look I know I’ve been here six months and yes I could write you a very detailed story. But I'm not going to. I need to be somewhere urgently. Please understand you need to find someone else to do this story. I'm too close. Plus I was witness to the whole thing. I'm taking a couple of personal days and will possibly be using vacation time after that. I'll call you in a few days to try and explain a bit better. But for now I’ve got to go."
The conversation ended as they pulled up in front of the Morgan HQ building. Photographers and press were already assembled outside the building. She removed her press ID badge and secured it in her purse.
Speaking to the driver she asked him to pull around at the back service entrance and wait for her there.

Stepping out of the car Rory worked her way through the gathered crowd and entered the building. She immediately approached security asking for Finn.
Security checked the visitor pre-approved list, the names compiled that were granted access without confirmation via a phone call, she was on it and escorted up with a member of the team.
Rory was met by a secretary and lead to Finn's office. She knocked softly and waited. There was no reply, she wasn't surprised. Stepping away from the door Rory handed Finn's receptionist her business card.
"Hey. Your press you can't be up here." The Secretary started.
"Ignore that. Rory commanded. We go way back and I know what's going on. God knows what state Finn will be in. I'm here as a friend to help him and there's no way I will be leaving him alone. Any calls or questions direct through me. I'm going to be taking Finn with me as the media will be all over his place, here and any hotels in the area as well. My place however will be a safe haven."
She turned and knocked on the door again. Still not getting an answer she turned the handle and let herself in.

As soon as she saw him her heart shattered. Never had she seen a person look so broken and lost. She could see the visible pain he was in. Shock had taken hold of him and he sat at his desk shaking with tears streaming down his face.

Rory poked her head out of the door and asked for security to come and help her get Finn to her car at the service entrance. The receptionist seeing the unshed tears in her eyes silently carried out her wishes.

Rory returned to Finn's office and packed up his things. Laptop, phone and organizer all stowed in his messenger bag which she slung over her shoulder. She gently laid a hand on his shoulder making him jump a little. Finn looked up at her not registering who she was and why she was there.
She took a step back and offered him her hand.
Finn stood up and slipped his hand into hers feeling a sense of comfort wash through him as he did.
Gently Rory lead him to the elevator, as the doors opened two members of the security team were revealed. Stepping back so they could enter the two men looked at Finn with such sympathy; Rory wondered what his parents were like to have so many people in their staff care.

Security made sure their exit would be seamless and assisted Rory into getting Finn and herself in the car.
The drive was silent. Not once had Finn let go of her hand. He was holding on like it was his life line. At that moment, in truth, it possibly was.

They arrived at her apartment and the doorman was able to help Rory get Finn upstairs.
She asked that any food she ordered he brought into the apartment to which he agreed without an explanation from her.
She shut the door and they crossed the room to the couch.
Rory removed his jacket and tie loosening the top two buttons. She called for pizza to be delivered.

Unsure what to do next Rory looked at Finn. How do you help someone in so much pain? She thought. No words seemed enough so she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him in close. He instantly returned the gesture. Placing a pillow on her lap Finn lay down and his body racked with sobs. Within half an hour he was asleep.