Domination

The thought of pulling in the air into lungs is non-existant, my ribcage wants to split in half from the pressure against my failing chest. His voice carries across the house, profound and irritated.

"Victoria, I want to see her. It's been long enough."

"Grey, you need to leave." Her voice is stern.

"I told you, Victoria, I am not leaving without her. Either you get her or I will. Either way, she's going back with me."

"Don't threaten me, Grey! Not on my soil. You're my friend, and I don't want anything to ruin that."

Frozen

The vibration of each step he takes is felt on the floorboards; a deep, rumbling growl pierces the air. It's a threat from the Northerner to Victoria. I can feel them getting closer. Their scent of pine and cedar, of the wild land, pulls my memory with wanting.

Charlie's grip tightens on my waist, and he drags me outside, into the night, until silver glowing eyes meet mine. Deeply embedded fear grips me like an iron fist.

"Meela."

The Northerner looks feral. His beard is full, untrimmed, and a wildness has taken hold of him. He's brought the North here within him, a savageness, a rawness... He's turned into a King in my absence.

Taking a staggered step back, my eyes blinking rapidly, swallowing the tears inside. I didn't think it would be this way. The connection between us is sizzling. I can feel my body buzzing, humming in a deep animalistic pull... my mate.

Thomas is standing beside him, looking just as fierce. They're the wild wolves from the North, seeking to claim a prize.

Charlie knows what he's doing, his snarl full of intent, of purpose, warning the Northerner to stay away. Charlie takes a protective stance in front of me. To get to me, the northerner has to go through a wall. Charlie's a warrior, for all his gruffness, his shagginess. He takes his warrior stance, stiff legs, body bristling, puffing himself up.

Others appear in my peripheral vision, fighters of the queen's pack, their eyes glowing, low rumbles vibrating out of their throats. They warn the northerner that this won't be easy.

The situation deteriorates rapidly as the northerner's men climb out of their vehicles. He brought along his warriors, the same males who fought alongside my brother's pack in our time of need.

He brought death with him.

Victoria's eyes are shiny with his betrayal. "Grey, what is the meaning of this!"

"I've come for her. She belongs to us."

"This is not what we agreed on. She's not ready." They talk as if I'm not here as if my feelings are nothing but fleeting thoughts left for the wind to take and blow away.

The Queen takes place to my right, her warriors behind her, some shifting into their fighting form, ears flattened down, bodies low to the ground, lips wrinkled back exposing shining white fangs.

The Northerner's malignant snarl is full of vicious intent, obsidian eyes gleaming their fury. The Northerner's men start shifting, crouching low, fine muscles twitching...ready.

Charlie's body is humming, just itching to shift. Thomas's eyes never leave Charlie's face. The northerner pays Charlie no attention. His entire focus is on me.

"Meela."

My name coming from his lips draws my eyes to his mouth. It's automatic, like breathing. I have no control. He's aware of this, nothing is lost in his assessment of me.