Chapter 4

CHAPTER FOUR

Unfortunately, Janice was nice.

It would be easier to hate her if she happened to be the typical bitch cheerleader that every story seemed to have. But then again, my life wasn't a movie so why do I keep on kidding myself? In addition, because my life was no movie, Janice had to be simple and friendly. Her hair was dyed blonde, and her roots needed doing. She wore a little makeup, but she had an interesting face. Ultimately, she wore a Sunday dress.

After disentangling herself from a friendly hug with Paige, who incidentally, was now grinning as if the cat just got the canary, said, "you must be Vanessa." Smiling to strangers wasn't my forte and so as I usually did in these situations, I just gave her an acknowledging nod. Like Paige, Janice wasn't disheartened by my lack of enthusiasm. "I'm Janice, but I am sure Paige could have taken care of introducing us." She smiled sweetly towards Paige. Stuck up sonuvabitch.

I raised an eyebrow, "Of course, you're Jack's future wife."

"W-Wife?" She spluttered and then laughed. She laughed so hard she bent over and had to catch her breath after. I was glad she found it amusing. Stupid hoe. "Good Lord, Paige, you don't have to say I'm Jack's wife, that's hardly appropriate." She reproached and Paige rolled her eyes playfully.

"Duh," Paige wiggled her eyebrows teasingly. Now it was my turn to roll eyes. Seriously? I didn't want to be a part of this. Janice giggled again as she flushed furiously.

Janice then had to say good-bye for a while, because her family had to go and pay respect to other members of the community. "You know, being the daughter of the Pastor and all," She commented playfully, winking at Paige and then at me. Paige laughed. I raised an eyebrow.

"Isn't she just the perfect match for my brother?" Paige stage whispered when Janice was out of the hearing distance.

"Her hair has roots and she has too many freckles," I told her and I could have kicked myself in the ass if it was anatomically possible. Did I just say that? I made a mental note not to consider a career as a Diplomat.

Paige burst into a fit of giggles over my comment. She, thank goodness, thought it was a joke. However, if she knew me better she would know it wasn't a joke. "She's smart and only get straight A's. She's a volleyball player too and Jack likes her girls smart and athletic. Good thing she's originally brown haired because Jack doesn't really like blondes and bitches."

Ouch. Direct hit.

"Color me uninterested." I said and sat on the bench. The service has ended and we all went out to the backyard to mingle and eat the food that people had brought with them to share. Gary and Hilda left us so they could mingle with the others and Jack went off somewhere too I didn't care enough to know where.

"Oh come on," Paige cajoled as she took the space beside me. "At least you already know the kids from school, well, at least the majority of them. And it's good that you're on Janice's good side. She's pretty popular you know."

That earned her a glare from me. "I thought I made it pretty clear that you won't introduce me to whoever the hell you deemed I need to meet. Aside that is from Jack's future wife, which I allowed because it has something to do with your family."

Paige pouted, "But don't you enjoy talking to them?"

"You talked. I just stood there." I pointed out, which made her giggle.

"It's because you don't like talking to people. You're like a puppy, very suspicious of people." I groaned as I slumped forward on the table. There is no shaking this girl.