Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE

Paige was the first to wake that morning. When I did, I looked for Jack first. I expected him to be lying beside me. No, let me rephrase that, I wasn't just simply expecting, I hoped he was there. For the past five years of suffering from night terrors, it has always been impossible for me to go back to sleep. Last night, the feeling of safety his hug rendered had lulled me into a deep sleep. The most relaxing sleep I ever had for the past years.

But of course, he wasn't there. Maybe he got out the moment I fell asleep. Of course, he would, why would he sleep with me in the first place. And why was he even in here last night?

I made my way to the bathroom looked in the mirror and groaned. I looked like hell. It was as if someone had mauled me from hell and back last night. I didn't want to look like this on my first day of school but had no other choice. Pressing my palms against my cheeks, I told myself: 'I wouldn't let this affect my life'. The past and its horror wouldn't affect the life I wish to start here in McNowhereville.

Paige saw but said nothing. Thinking about how she must have heard my screams in the night made the shame bubble like hot lava in my bloodstream. I felt such anger at the people who did this to me. I slumped on the side of the bathtub and buried my face between my knees, drowning the silence inside my head. I hadn't dreamt about mom for years and usually during those dreams, it was the moment when she pulled her last breath and the only words that she had repeatedly told me were "I'm sorry, baby, and I love you."

However, last night was different. It was my first time remembering those words after I awoke. Now, I could remember her actually saying those words to me, I could remember it confusing me. I never understood why she'd said it. I wonder why she thought I might not forgive her. She told me I would understand her someday, but when will that be?

Why did I suddenly remember it and why now of all times?

Paige pounded on the bathroom door and yelled "C'mon, Vanessa. Take a quick shower, we're running late." Sighing, I had a quick wash. When I got out, Jack was just coming out of his room. Should I thank him? I probably should, but I just couldn't make myself talk to him. I couldn't even make eye contact so I looked away.

"You okay?" He asked and I rolled my eyes. Isn't it obvious? Besides, he was there with me last night when I'd cried my eyes out.

"Yeah, perfectly fine." I lied.

"You don't look fine to me," I turned to face him and just quirked an eyebrow. "You look like hell!" My lips tipped up. He was just funny or maybe I was really crazy because I found it funny. Then I remembered that he was supposedly in love with Janice, which dampened my mood again. Thanks, brain.

"That's just the perfect line to make a girl feel good about herself, what book of charm did you get that from?" I asked in mock enthusiasm. He grinned. I almost swooned, the keyword being almost.

"It's from 'How to make a girl feel good', did it work?"

I tried to hide a smile and suppress a giggle. "You better chuck that book in the trash then,"

"But I haven't tried all the lines yet." He took a step towards me. My heart started beating furiously. It felt good. I felt alive.

"Why would you need a book for that anyway?" He just gave a cheeky little smirk.

"To make a girl want me back." It sounded more like a question than a statement as if he was gauging my reaction. To make a girl want him back?

"As if you still need it," I said sourly, hardening my jaw to stop myself from saying more.