Pogo The Clown

John Wayne Gacy, one of America's most notorious serial killers, was an established community leader, named the Springfield, Illinois, "Man of the Year" in 1964 by a local group, and performed as a beloved children's clown, Pogo.

Gacy was first arrested on sodomy charges in 1968 after the father of a 15-year-old boy Gacy had hired to do odd jobs around his home told authorities that Gacy forced his son into oral sex. Gacy received a 10-year sentence but was released after two years due to good behavior, and was given 12 months' probation. During his time in prison, Gacy's first wife filed for divorce. After his release in 1970, he relocated to Des Plaines, Illinois, where he married his high school sweetheart, began a contracting business, and created Pogo the clown, who became a popular figure at birthday parties and the children's hospital.

His second wife filed for divorce in 1975, after he admitted he was sexually attracted to young men. Between 1972 and 1978, he tortured, raped and murdered .

Gacy was convicted of 12 murders and sentenced to death on March 13, 1980. He was executed by lethal injection on May 9, 1994.

While in prison, Gacy painted dozens of portraits of himself as Pogo. After his execution, his attorney auctioned off the artwork — some of which was purchased and burned at a bonfire attended by his victims' family members.