Chapter 12

The next morning, Lyra wasn't surprised at all to find Sesshomaru missing. She had awoken to the sound of Jaken telling Rin off for accidentally spraying water on him. It felt so refreshing to have had such a long and deep sleep. She was sure that whatever task Sesshomaru had to do was something that was quicker on his own. Upon seeing her awake, Rin ran over to her as she sat up.

"Good morning, Lyra!" Rin greeted.
Lyra smiled softly. "Good morning. I feel like I've slept for too long," she said as she stretched her arms up.
The little girl giggled. "Lord Sesshomaru couldn't wake you up."

Lyra pictured the image of Sesshomaru trying to shake her awake only to be met with grumbles of how tired she was before getting annoyed and disappearing. She laughed nervously.

"He wasn't mad, was he?" she asked.
"No. He just told me to tell you that he'll be gone for a while. Maybe even all day."
Lyra nodded. "Okay. Thank you for telling me." She stood up and stretched again. "Have you had breakfast?"
"Yep! We saved you some. Come on!"

Rin grabbed her hand and pulled her towards Jaken and the leftover food. As she ate, the imp was sure to make it clear that he was in charge since Sesshomaru wasn't there. They had to do whatever he said and follow his orders. Lyra simply rolled her eyes, deciding to go along with it just to save herself from the headache of hearing him complain. Just as she finished her breakfast, they were off. Rin sat on A-Un whilst Lyra walked beside her holding the reigns, following Jaken as he took the lead.

The open air and fields brought so much joy to Lyra. She breathed in deeply, savouring the fresh breeze as the luscious green grass flowed beneath it. After returning to the future, she thought she would have missed the city life. Tall buildings, the noise of the traffic she grew up, the huge crowds of people. But being back here, she realised she loved the openness and greenery. There was no light or noise pollution and she could see the galaxy in the night sky for the first time. Sure there were demons who would have no hesitation in killing her but she was in much danger in the feudal era as she was in the future. At least she had Sesshomaru.

She was suddenly brought out of her thoughts when Jaken stopped walking in front of her, causing her to almost step on him.

"Watch where you're walking, fool!" he yelled at her.
"Oops! Sorry!" she apologised quickly. "Why have you stopped?"
Jaken began to giggle almost evilly. "Because I'm going to steal the tetsuaiga!"
Lyra sighed. "You failed yesterday. What makes you think you're going to get it today?"
"Because, fool, I have learned from my mistakes. I'll be sure to get it this time!" he exclaimed with confidence before walking off. "Don't go anywhere!"
"But, Master Jaken-" Rin began.
Jaken turned around and yelled at her. "Rin! Be off with you, you pest!"
"Jaken! Don't talk to her like that," Lyra scolded.

Lyra and Rin watched the little imp disappear before looking at each other with quiet giggles. At least they wouldn't have to hear his annoying voice. They decided to go their own way but they didn't stray too far from where Jaken had left them. Rin wanted to clean A-Un so they found a small stream. Lyra sat on the bank and dipped her legs in, rolling her pants up to her knees whilst Rin bathed the demon. She took notice of Rin's expression and she seemed quite angry. Rin was thinking about Jaken speaking so rudely to her earlier and it was bothering her more than she showed before.

"Rin, are you alright?" Lyra asked with concern.

Rin was scrubbing the demon's side with a cloth as she spoke out loud, "Hm! Alright. I'll stay away if that's what you want."
Lyra blinked a couple of times. "Rin?"
The little girl sighed and stopped rubbing A-Un's side before looking at Lyra. "Master Jaken is always so mean to me. He doesn't trust me with anything."
"That's because he's jealous."
"Jealous?"
Lyra nodded with a smile. "It's because Sesshomaru likes you better than Jaken." She then giggled and put her finger on her lips. "But keep that between us."