60

I didn't know what to wear

I didn't know what to wear. I had woken up  the morning we were to visit mom and I rummaged through my suitcase before I called Katelyn and she told me what to wear.

It was a simple mini skirt that I knew belonged to Katelyn because I don't own a mini anything. I paired it with a plain white shirt and tucked it in. I finished the look with a pair of white converse before making my way down the stairs.

It felt strange being in this house again

It felt strange being in this house again. I half expect my mother to walk around the corner, ready to ask me how my day at school was. But every time I turn the corner, the only things that greeted me were furniture covered with white sheets.

Letting out a sigh, I went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water as I waited for dad. The memories of my mother dancing around the kitchen was so real, it felt if I close my eyes and pretended hard enough, I could reach out and touch her.

Dad came downstairs in a pair of jeans and a blue shirt that was rolled up to the elbows. His feet in a pair of black and white converse. I didn't even know he owned a pair of converse.

"Are you ready?" He asked and I nodded before placing my cup back in the cupboard.

I followed him out the door and waited for him to lock up before the two of us made our way to the car.

The car ride was quiet. Not surprising for any alone time with my father. But today it was okay, it was needed. Before we pulled up to the cemetery, dad pulled up to a little flower shop that I knew too well.

My mom and my aunt Alice co-owned this shop. Mom loved flowers too much that she turned it into her 'career'. Dad never fully approved and when Mom died, he had no problem leaving this behind.

"If we're going to do this, we going to do it right." He nodded before putting the car in park. I gave him a nod before we got out of the car.

He held the door to the Flower Pot and I stepped inside. The smell of fresh cut flowers made me inhale and I looked around at all of the bright flowers with a smile on my face.