62

When I woke up the next morning, there was noises in the kitchen and the smell of bacon invaded the air

"Good morning," I frowned when I got downstairs and my father turned to face me. He placed cooked bacon on a plate before looking up at me.

"Good morning," he smiled and my frown deepened. No hangover or is he just faking? Is he really going to try and avoid this?

"We have pancakes and bacon, would you like eggs too?" He asked and I raised an eyebrow at him.

"When did you go to the store? We had nothing in the fridge." I asked and he placed the frying pan back on the stovetop.

"This morning, thought I could cook us a nice breakfast." He explained and I nodded.

He's feeling guilt. Usually, this results in chili, a gift, and hurtful words that would re-channel the guilt back to me.

"Too early for chili?" I asked and he raised an eyebrow at me.

"You want chili for breakfast?"

"No," I let out a sigh. "I want you to do something other than feed me your favorite foods when you're feeling guilty."

I don't even like pancakes.

He tossed the his hands in the air in exasperation before glaring at me.

"What do you want from Rose?" He asked and I took a step back.

"See?" He pointed at me. "I raise my voice and you imminently step back from me. I make you breakfast and you get angry. I don't know what else to do."

He waited for me to say something but I didn't have anything to say to him. So I just stared right back at him.

"What do you want me to do?" He asked again  and I gave him a shrug. How am I supposed to answer that? How does he expect me to answer that for him?

"Then, is it possible for me to make you breakfast without you catching an attitude?" He asked and I nodded.

"I'm sorry," I apologized and he let out a deep sigh. I wanted to leave it at that. Let him think that I forgave him and we could go on about our day. But the burning anger in my chest was unbearable.

"Are you aware of the emotional and physical exhaustions you've put me through?" I asked before taking a deep breath. His head didn't lift as he continued to plate the food but his movements did slow down.

"Look at me," I ordered without raising my voice. His eyes shifted up and he shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I'm terrified of you," I told him and his eyes narrowed in confusion. As if that's the most absurd thing I've ever said. I still don't understand how he can pretend that the Charles Thorne that I know isn't the same man standing in front of me. That once he got married, the old Charles left and I can pretend and forget the man that he was.