Part Fourteen: Gay Is Good

25/05/2012

So yesterday I accidentally started what I'm now calling in my head the "Gay Is Good" movement. For anybody who missed it, it went thusly:

I'm sick of "gay" being an insult.

I'm turning it into a good thing.

You're all gay.

Since so many people "reblogged" it or whatever you want to call it on Wattpad, I figured I should make a quick blog post about it to clear up any mosconceptions!

1) I wasn't just talking about sexuality!

A few people replied telling me that they are bisexual or homosexual or pansexual or whatever it is that they are. That's all well and good and lovely and yay for diversity! But I wasn't really talking about sexuality, I was referring to when people unconsciously say something like, "That band is totally gay," and meaning that they think the band sucks. My whole point was to get people saying that something is gay, and meaning that they love it :)

2) From now on...

Whenever I make a fanblast or a link or a status and describe something as gay, I will mean that it rocks my socks all the way to my jocks! I hope that everybody who jumped on board with the Gay Is Good thing will follow my lead and start describing things they like as gay. I think it would be a fun little project and also a healthy one :)

3) I think sometimes people avoid the word gay...

... because of all the different connotations. It can mean happy or homosexual or bad, but I don't think avoiding the word is the answer to not offending anyone. I think choosing a definition like "awesome" and sticking to it is a much nicer way of doing it!

4) Delusions of grandeur

I'm not under any illusions, just so everyone knows, I'm not expecting this to go viral or global or anything, I know there's only a handful of us but I still think it's pretty cool that everyone was so receptive. Yay for everyone being awesome! *pats you all on the back*

5) Vote and/or comment...

... If you're gonna try to keep using "gay" as a positive adjective!