Chapter Six: Glimpsed

It was quiet when she became conscious again, and though she was awake she chose to keep her eyes closed. She recognized Andrew's deep breathing by her side. He sounded more agitated than usual. When she heard no one else, she opened her eyes.

The room she was in was lined with books on one side, and a wall of windows on the other. It smelled pleasantly of parchment and a subtle musky odor that nearly reminded her of home. The only light aside from the soft morning sun came from three candles lit on the table over a open book, the chair pulled out as if someone had just been sitting there. She lie in the middle of a large bed, and Andrew sat in a chair beside her, leaning slightly on the headrest of the bed frame. As she looked, she noticed his fists were clenched.

"Are you well?" he asked, glancing at her from the side.

"Yes, I'm f–." She winced as she tried to sit up, the bed seeming to spin beneath her and the walls tumbling. Her head pounded; settled back into the blankets, as Andrew worriedly reached his hand out as if to offer some support. "I'm fine," she said, sharper.

She rubbed at her head, annoyed. The weakness being exposed in front of this boy struck a foul mood in her gut.

"I'm sorry, Amelia..." he began to say, looking to her eyes as he did. "I never thought Rosa would be–"

"I am fine."

Eager to shift the conversation, she looked anywhere but his face. "Where are we?" she asked.

"My quarters. Lucia felt it would be safer for you, given the circumstances." The edge in his voice was hard.

Ignoring his answer, she sat up. "Are you well?" she asked in response to his sharp demeanor.

He did not answer. "Your uncle left just before you woke. He will be back soon."

Rubbing her hands together, she nodded, still watching him with narrowed eyes. "Andrew, what is wrong?"

"Are you hungry?"

Annoyed at the clear avoidance of her question, she shook her head no.

"Amelia, you haven't eaten in two days," he said, not entirely worriedly.

Again she shook her head.

He sighed. "Very well then."

She stared at him, long and hard, noting how he did not return the look. Finally she said, "You look tired." Then she thought of another question. "How long was I asleep?"

"Through the night. It is only mid-morning."

Surprised, Amelia straightened herself. What could she have summoned that would drain her energy so?

Oh, she thought, it was her wolf.

There was a knock on the door, to which Andrew replied by saying, "Enter."

Jed strode through the door, a smile on his face and sneaky arms hidden behind his back. Immediately Amelia narrowed her eyes.

"Ah, Amelia, darling! You're awake!" His smile grew even wider. His eyes then flashed to the other person in the room and he quickly acknowledged him. "Prince Andrew," he said. "I'm glad you are awake, Princess. I have something for you. For both of you," he corrected.

Before she could ask what, Jed stepped to the edge of the bed as Andrew eyed him carefully, unsure whether or not he should move to intercept whatever it was Jed was holding. Something yipped.

With a twinkling, mischievous smile, Jed brought his arms forward. Cradled in one of his large hands was a medium-sized puppy. The young dog was black, with a white belly, legs, and floppy ears. A splotch of brown covered half of its face. His bright blue eyes, to the surprise of Amelia, were wide and alert, ready to play. It lurched forward, wriggling in the big hands that held it.