Chapter Seven: The Thought of Marriage

(Picture would be of Feren except his jaw is marked)

***

Amelia knew the man was Voerr. It didn't take his ears or his markings to be able to tell. While she lacked the trait of pointed ears, she had the same capabilities; and while she had marks, they were not as obvious as Feren's. Hers were hidden in a less visible area, where only she would ever see while she was stuck in this land. It lead her to wonder if others would ever notice them, streaked across her skin in lines of black and a darker purple.

Again a pang of misery slashed at her stomach. At home she wouldn't have to wear full gowns — gowns that hid the marks that should've been worn proudly. At home she wouldn't have to hide her abilities. Her very soul. At home she would have been able to speak freely with one of her own kind!

She wanted to turn out and find him again, know his story, ask him about everything that had happened. Surely he knew something of Constentine? There were no other Voerr in Firica — not natural citizens. Refugees, maybe. He had to know more. And if anything, she had to have some sort of responsibility to one of her own in Firica? At the very least, she should be aware of any information she could possibly gain. She felt it was her duty, as a member of the leading family. Wasn't it? Shouldn't she know? Didn't she have right to the information of her family's country?

"Princess Amelia! Princess Amelia!"

She growled at the title.

A maid was running up to them from down the lit hall, holding a very unhappy looking pup in her arms. Andrew turned to address the woman while Amelia kept her head low, facing away. She knew what the call was for.

"What do you need?"

"A thousand apologies, my prince. Jed has summoned the princess."

"At this hour?" Andrew asked.

Amelia heard her hair swish as she nodded and wondered why it was worn down. She hadn't seen maids with their hair down in this keep before....

"Yes, my prince. He said it was urgent."

A sigh came from him. "Alright."

Again she nodded, and again she was rushing down the hall.

His arm was placed around the girl's back again, nearly making her lean away from his side. It felt awkward; the contact. "Would you like me to go with you?" he asked.

No. He couldn't hear what Jed had to say, she thought. It would certainly be best if he stayed. "No," she told him. It might have been harsh. After all, it was not a lie. She was not exactly excited to even be at his side. "I'm sorry, but it is best for me to go alone."

With that, she turned away.

At least she knew where she was going, so she wouldn't make a fool of herself leaving his side.

Why Jed would send a handmaid to find her, rather than any other form of communication, pricked Amelia's mood. He seemed to have settled quite comfortably in this roll of a noble in Firica. They had no maids or manservants in her home. And those of Firica did not work to serve her or her uncle. And no matter the method of the meeting request, Jed had taken the time to see her earlier, had he not?

Andrew had likely gone to see his mother as well. He'd had summons to see her before they'd gone.

Soon Amelia stood in front of the door, ready to knock before Jed's voice beckoned her inside. She was far from eager to enter, for fear she would be reprimanded. It took an eternity for her to move her feet to the chair and eventually sit down across the desk from the closest thing to family she had then.