Chapter 2

Jon, the Lord Commander, and Artos stood in a circle over the wight's head that Cybderdyne had lopped off. Though its body was now a pile of ash, the eyes still roved around the room and the teeth gnashed together in impotent rage. "That's Othor," Artos said. Jon and Mormont stayed silent; they'd known the identity already. "How... what..."

"Is this what you meant?" Jon asked Cyberdyne. Unlike the others, the Terminator had no interest in the still-moving head. He simply stood at attention by the door awaiting new orders. "Is this what you were meant to protect me from?"

"Possible," the Terminator answered. "I am unfamiliar with this model, but it is possible that Skynet has segmented its data banks for security purpose and I was not given access to these files. However, unless the model's power source is contained within the head, I expect it to stop moving soon."

Jon gaped at Cyberdyne. Only about half of those words made any sense to him.

"It's been a long day," Lord Commander Mormont said as he threw a sheet over the head of his former Brother. "I think we're all a little tired." Apparently he hadn't understood it either, which was comforting to Jon. "Jon, please find some food and accomodations for our guest, and..." his eyes looked the Terminator up and down, "and some fitting clothing, if you can."

"I do not require food," Cyberdyne answered. "My reactor fuel cell is running at peak efficiency. I do, however, need to undergo some repairs." He pulled the remains of his shirt to the side, revealing the wound on his shoulder.

Mormont shook his head. "Of course!" In all the excitement and confusion, they'd nearly forgotten that their new friend had been sliced to the bone. The scraps of clothing around it covered up just how severe it really was. "You need medical attention! Artos, please wake Maester Aemon and bring him to treat Cyberdyne."

"We'll be in the spare room two floors down," Jon informed Artos, who disappeared through the door. Then he turned back to Cyberdyne. "Are you able to walk?" It was kind of a silly question, given that Cyberdyne was still standing.

"Yes, I am fine," it answered. "I am capable of self-repair, given the proper equipment."

Jon led him out of the Lord Commander's quarters. "I guess our first stop would be the storerooms, then." They descended down the narrow hallway, so low that Cyberdyne had to stoop in order to walk. "Tell me," Jon said. "Where are you from? I've never heard anyone speak the way you do." During his time at Winterfell they had had Lords and Ladies visit from the far reaches of Skagos to the islands off the coast of Dorne and everything in between. But none of them ever spoke like Cyberdyne."

"I was fabricated near Los Angeles," the Terminator answered.

Jon thought back to his father's map room in Winterfell. He'd spent many an hour there at Ned's feet, learning battle strategy and politics alongside his brother Robb. And he'd studied the maps enough to have memorized every town and city and castle labeled on it. He couldn't recall any named Los Angeles. Perhaps it was too small to be included on the map. "And what House do you owe fealty to?"

Cyberdyne did not answer immediately. "I do not comprehend the question," it finally responded. "Please define 'House.'"

"You know..." Jon said. He'd never really thought anyone wouldn't understand the concept. Even the tribes along the Stony Shore understood their place under House Stark. "Who rules Los Angeles?"

"Skynet," Cyberdyne answered. "At least, it did at the time of my departure."

"Hmm..." Again, Jon thought back to the lessons with his siblings. "House Skynet?" he never recalled learning about such a house, but perhaps it was one of those barren rocks out on the Iron Islands that fancied themselves a proper House even with just a dozen or so subjects. Theon had been the only ones who ever remembered those. "And do you belong to this house?"

"Yes," Cyberdyne said. "I was created by Skynet and were the legal system still intact I would be considered its property."

Jon laughed. "*Created* is a good way of putting it." He considered whether Cyberdyne was admitting to being a bastard, but didn't want to push the point. Some people are sensitive about that sort of thing.

They arrived at the storerooms and the armory. It was empty but for Donal Noye, hammering away at the red-hot blade of a knife. He glanced up and rolled his eyes as he saw Jon enter, but did a double-take as the enormous form of Cyberdyne ducked under the doorway. "By the Smith's hand!" he gasped, setting down his work and approaching for a closer look. "Who is this, then."

"Donal Noye, meet Cyberdyne of House Skynet." The two shook hands, causing Cybderdyne's shoulder to spark a bit. "He needs some supplies, he says. Saved me and the Lord Commander getting that wound there, so let's do whatever we can to help him, eh?"

Donal just nodded; he was still a little stunned by the muscular giant in front of him. "Sure," he said. "Whatever you need, it's yours. And I know this place like the back of me hand, so just ask."

Cyberdyne glanced around, perhaps looking to see what was available. "Soldering iron," he said. "Pneumatic diagnostic kit. Plastic-wrapped copper wire. Standard surgical tool set..."

"Err..." Donal hadn't understood any of that. "How about you just have a look around, then?" Cyberdyne nodded and headed off to a corner to begin his search.

"What's 'is story?" Donal whispered to Jon.

"He just showed up, naked at the gates according to Artos." Jon said. "And good thing he did, too. Othor's corpse came to life again and attacked me and the Lord Commander. If Cyberdyne here hadn't been there, I don't think we would have made it."

"Yeah," Donal said, watching Cyberdyne shufle through all of their equipment. "Seems like a handy fellow to have in a fight. We ought to keep 'im around. Maybe get him a weapon?"

"Good idea," Jon said. Castle Black was supposed to be safe, but when the dead come back to life... well, who knows? "Cyberdyne," Jon called to him. "What is your weapon of choice?"

Cyberdyne was busy unraveling a set of bright copper chain mail, but looked up from his work. "Phase plasma rifle, automatic fire," he answered.

Jon and Donal exchanged a confused look. "Let's just start with a sword," Jon said.