Chapter 12

Jon dipped a hand in the cool waters of the Green Fork, watching the way that it swirled through his fingertips. It was refreshingly cold, but not bone-chilling like the waters up in the North. Sun filtered through the willow trees that hung over the river bank, and there was a fresh scent of flowers on the breeze. The boat rocked gently as the lazy waters carried them down towards the Trident. It was so peaceful here that it was almost possible to forget that the whole kingdom was beset by war. The only reminder was the hazy pillar of smoke that still rose from the remains of the Twins' gatehouse off in the distance.

Cyberdyne sat in the very center of the boat, still as a statue. The boat was built to carry eight men, but the planks strained under his weight. And sitting near any one side would cause the boat to list dangerously or likely capsize altogether. Jon's companion kept his gaze straightforward, never moving. Not even smiling. They'd been traveling together for weeks since leaving Castle Black, and it was still unnerving.

"You did well back there," Jon told him. "I don't know what Robb would have done without you." Even subconsciously, he tried to focus on what Cyberdyne had done. Jon had not personally done anything, because that would have violated his vows.

The attempt to break the silence was a failure; Cyberdyne did not respond at all.

"How did you learn to make... whatever it was that you made?" Jon asked. He remembered Theon asking what exactly that explosive was, and also remembered that the answer was just gibberish. "I mean, did you have some teach you?"

"I was taught knowledge of chemical compounds and demolitions by my creator, Skynet. That was part of my pre-installed programming when I was manufactured," he answered.

"Manufactured," Jon repeated. "Right." Even though Cyberdyne had explained what he actually was, it was still difficult for Jon to wrap his mind around the concept. He looked at his own hand, remembering the pieces of metal underneath Cyberdyne's skin and how they had moved. "Tell me more about this 'Los Angeles' place where you were manufactured," he said. "Is it a lot like this?" he gestured around at the river and the trees on the bank.

"No," Cyberdyne answer. "Large-scale nuclear bombardment has eliminated what little wilderness was left in the Los Angeles region even before the war. The buildings that survived the blasts have been further reduced to rubble due to constant counter-insurgency campaigns conducted by Skynet. The fires and radiation that spread though out the world after Skynet's initial attack have further destroyed most natural areas, with the exception of parts of the Amazon rainforest and jungle in Central Africa, which were sparsely populated and thus low-priority targets."

"It is all burned? Does that mean someone used Wildfire?" Jon asked.

"I am not familiar with this term," Cyberdyne said. "Context indicates you refer to a man-made object."

"It's... a weapon," Jon explained. "Made by the Alchemist's Guild in King's Landing. It's a fire that burns hot enough to melt stone, and trying to put it out with water only causes it to burn even hotter." Jon and his siblings had learned all about it from Ned, always with the warning that it was the most dangerous substance on earth. He always said it was just as likely to burn whoever wields it as it is to burn the target. The Mad King had been fire-obsessed and had threatened to burn down the city rather than let King Robert take the throne.

Cyberdyne considered for a moment. "Yes," he finally answered. "The weapons used in the war were similar to this 'Wildfire.'"

Jon looked around at the forest lining the banks of the river and tried to consider what the Riverlands would be like if it was all reduced to ash. Every farmer's croft burned down, and every major city turned to rubble. He'd never heard of such a catastrophe anywhere in Westeros. Or even in the free cities, or out to Slaver's Bay. The world had not seen such destruction since the Doom of Valyria hundreds of years ago. "I can't imagine," Jon said finally.

Cyberdyne had no answer to that. The boat continued downstream, and Jon watched the fish flickering back and forth just under the surface.

"Cyberdyne, when you talk about your programming... that's something that you have to do, right?"

"Yes. I am programmed to protect you."

"Have you ever thought about what would happen if you disobeyed it? If you did what you wanted instead of what you were sworn to do?" The question had been on Jon's mind ever since Winterfell, but he'd kept his thoughts to himself into the two of them were alone.

"No, I am unable to question my programming." Cyberdyne had no doubt or hesitation in his voice.

It was a conviction that Jon wished he could have. The Watch was not what he'd thought it would be. He'd expected to live a hard, cold life on the very edge of the realm. But he'd expected to be welcomed into a true brotherhood and serve with honor, instead of being brutalized and insulted by nearly everyone. The vow seemed to mean nothing to them. "Right," Jon told Cyberdyne. "There are severe consequences for breaking an oath." He thought back to Ned beheading the runaway from the Wall. "But just... if you could. If someone gave you a way out..." Robb's offer of absolution kept ringing in his ears.

"No," Cyberdyne said. "I am programmed to provide maximum utility. My superiors chose my specific purpose, and I am not qualified to question their decisions. I do what needs to be done most."

Jon thought on that. As savage and brutal as the Watch had become, the oath still rang true: the shield that protects the realm. Just like Cyberdyne, the Wall was where Jon was most useful. The Night's Watch was there to protect the Kingdom from the White Walkers. The jar with Othor's still-moving hand currently tucked in his bag served as a reminder of the danger that they faced. If he broke his oath, what sort of example would that set? Who would defend the Wall when the need came? And would he really be more useful helping Robb ride around the South killing Lannisters?

"Thanks, Cyberdyne," Jon said. He'd made up his mind. He leaned back in the boat and listened to the waves lap against the side, enjoying it while he still could. It would only be a matter of time before he had to return to the Wall.