Chapter 14

Jon took a step forward and opened his mouth to say her name. It had been months since they'd seen each other, and with all the chaos in King's Landing... well, at least she was safe. But before he could make a sound, Yoren grabbed him by the wrist and squeezed, hard. Hard enough to stop him in his tracks and make the words die in his throat.

"Jon, we're probably going to need another fire for all of us, wouldn't you say?" Yoren told him. "Why don't you and Arry here," he gestured to Arya, who was just as stunned as Jon and stood with her jaw agape, "go out to gather some firewood? 'e's a young boy from Fleabottom, on 'is way up to join the Watch. Maybe you could tell 'im a thing or two about your time at the Wall?" The emphasis on the words was so slight that one had to really be listening to notice it, but the implication was clear: Arya was traveling under a false identity, and therefore in danger. Saying her true name would have been a big mistake.

"Right," he said softly, still in disbelief at seeing his sister here of all place. "Well, come along, Arry." He gestured for Arya to follow him, then turned towards a copse of trees near the riverbank.

"I'll come too," the tall, muscular boy said. He took a long step forward to put himself in between Jon and Arya, the way that the direwolves did whenever they sensed danger. For the first time, Jon noticed that there was a metal helmet in the shape of a snorting bull tied to the boy's bag, and there was a heavy smithing hammer tucked into the loops of his belt. Gendry, was it? Jon thought, trying to remember what Yoren had called him. "I can carry more than Arry anyway," Gendry said.

"That's all right," Arya said. She came and stood next to Jon. "I'll be fine."

"We've got Cyberdyne to protect us," Jon said, jerking his chin over to the looming figure standing behind him. "And he can probably carry ten times more than any of us." That elicited a bit of an odd look from Gendry, but after a reassuring nod from Arya, he didn't protest. Although Jon couldn't help but notice that Gendry always kept one eye on them even as he returned to the group.

"All right," Yoren said, clapping his hands together to get everyone's attention. It broke the tension of the moment and allowed the two siblings to slip away unnoticed. "Let's set up camp here. You lot ain't gettin' fed until you're done!"

They headed toward the more secluded grove where they could talk without being overheard. Glancing over her shoulder, Arya realized that Cyberdyne was following after them, lurking at the edge of the clearing. "What about him?" she asked. "Is he..."

"You can trust him," Jon said. "He..." It was a lot to explain, and now really wasn't the time to get into the fact that he was a man, not a machine, sent from another world and programmed to protect Jon at all costs. "He swore an oath to me." Not really true, but it was close enough.

Arya scowled though. "People swear lots of oaths," she said in a tone laden with experience. "They don't always keep them."

"Don't worry. He's saved me multiple times, and he's the whole reason that Robb is on his way to rescue Father."

Arya's scowl deepened, and she looked to the ground. "Well it's too late for that."

"What do you mean?" Jon asked. His mind caught up to his mouth a moment later, and he realized what Arya was saying. Realized why she was traveling disguised as a boy with a group of criminals, but criminals bound for the North. Realized who might be after her. But it was too late; the question was already out there.

"Father is dead," Arya answered. Her tone was full of hate, but a tear leaked down from her cheek. "Joffrey killed him! He was going to take the Black and go serve at the Wall with you, but then Joffrey cut off his head!" Every time she said his name it was like she was spitting out poison. She subconsciously clutched at the slender metal sword hilt concealed under her dirty coat. He only caught a quick glimpse of it, but he recognized it as the one he'd given her all those months ago before he left for the Wall. "And I'm going to kill him for it!"

Jon didn't really know what to do or say. He'd realized that his father was in danger, of course. With Robert dead and Ned imprisoned, of course it was possible that he might be put to death. But he never thought it would actually happen. He'd been the Hand of the King! Robert's best friend! Hero of Robert's Rebellion. How could he possibly be considered a traitor. Somehow he thought this would all be worked out, even if it was at the tip of Robb's sword. And even then, he was far more valuable to the Lannisters as a bargaining chip. What good was he to them now that he was dead? It just didn't make sense.

"I'm sorry," Jon said. There was really nothing else he could think of to say. Tears were pouring from Arya's eyes now even as she held her fierce scowl. The droplets left light trails through the layer of dirt on her cheeks. Jon stepped forward and wrapped her up in a hug. Her entire body was trembling, and she collapsed against him, wracked with sobs. "You're safe now," he told her.

She shook her head, wiping the tears away with a ragged, dirty sleeve. "We're not. The Gold Cloaks... they came looking for us the other day. For Gendry, really, but if they find me as well, then they'll..." Her voice trailed off, and she seemed ready to cry again. They'd kill her too. Or worse, keep her prisoner like Sansa. With Ned gone, they were no doubt looking for more bargaining chips.

"Don't worry," Jon said. He looked at Cyberdyne, who was scanning the forest with his glowing red eyes. Always on alert; always ready for combat. Jon looked at the sword hanging from his companion's belt and remembered how easily Cyberdyne had dispatched those wildling thugs on the road to Winterfell. "I'm here, Arya. I'll protect you." He gave no thought to his vows to the Watch; not when his sister needed him.