23. Old Flame

Reunion reveals friendship potential that haven't yet been emerged in the past.” – Toba Beta.

•••

Light.

Her gaze met with the fluorescent tube on the ceiling, at the moment her eyes parted and she returned back to consciousness. The worst hadn’t happened after all, she wasn’t dead and judging by the state of things – she was alive, and out of the road.

Chile must have indeed come to the rescue.

A searing ache tore through her fore-head, as she braced both of her fists on both sides of the bed and sat up. Her gaze skimming the bed-room, as she did so.

There wasn’t much about its surroundings, save the two alarm desks pitched by the bed – a large digital clock opposite her view by the arch-way of the door ahead, and the air-conditioner erected by her left. The room was totally void of anything else, and it only meant one thing – it wasn’t a room that was frequently used.

Was this his house?

Fear began to settle in, as realization dawned on her that there was a chance she might have been taken by someone else. Perhaps, abducted and was currently a hostage. What sort of a person had this sort of a room, in their house if not for such ominous purposes? But the atmosphere was sophisticated, and not rugged or worn-out. The white-painted walls, matched white-sheeted beds and the same went for curtains. The shrill sound produced by the air-conditioner, was the only audible noise she could hear.

Wasting no time, she leaped up from the bed in haste and tiptoed to the door – while casting a cursory glance about, in case there was CCTV surveillance. After thorough inspection, she was able to infer that there was none and that gave her courage to turn the door knob and step out of the room to the short-hall way. Before she could take any further action, a voice from behind jolted a loud squeal out of her.

What do you think, you’re doing?”

The voice was low-pitched, hoarse and eerily familiar. It couldn’t be–

Dayo?

“Dayo!” She bellowed, cradling her lips with her palms as she inspected him. He was clad in a grey sleeping robe, that was loosely tight by his waist and which also bared his chest. “What the hell!”

“I’m sorry, if I scared you.” He replied in a soothing tone, pushing himself off the wall. But he didn’t sound remorseful in any way. His lips were twitched into one corner, and she could sense he was trying to fight back a smile.

This whole thing was funny to him.

It was right at that moment, that she realized that she was in his company and was definitely also in his house. What the hell was she doing here!

“What am I doing here?” She progressed in haste, stopping his speech right in its tracks.

“I should be asking you that question,” The smirk was now scrawled all over his face. His eyes narrowed, but he made no attempt to move closer. “You texted me that I should come pick you, and I did. So I think a – ‘thank you’ Dayo should be in order, and not an obvious question like the one you’re asking. In fact, a thank you is too little to offer for the stress and hassle I went through to get you here, but you know I’m a cool guy – so I’d just make do with it. I’m waiting.”

What the hell was he saying?

“I didn’t text you,” Her voice was accusatory, and her gaze – demeaning. “Why would I text you, of all people? I don’t even think I have your contact on my phone any more.”