CHAPTER SIX: CAPABLE

capable; having the ability to do a specific thing

Dustin began giving Mel instructions on what to do incase his mom or anyone goes into his room when he's not there. He showed her his closest. "This is where you have to hide." He said, opening the closet door. It was a very small space. It reminded her of the Lab. She would get locked in a room if she didn't comply.

"No." She states and closed the door.

"Uh...yes." He said sarcastically but serious. "There's no where else to hide in my room." He pointed out. Mel began tearing up ever so slightly. Dustin felt bad for her. "Did something bad happen to you in a closet?" She nodded even though that wasn't entirely true. "I guess you could just lock the door. That makes sense...but somehow the door opens, hide in the closet until I get back, please." He basically begged her.

"Where are you going?" She wondered.

"Trick or treating." He replied. Mel had a confused look on her face. "You know...because it's Halloween."

"Halloween?"

Dustin tried to think of a definition of Halloween. "Halloween is when you can dress up as someone or something and you can go get candy from people's houses. It's like Christmas but less dressing up...and less candy..." He realized.

"Christmas?" For most of that morning and afternoon they talked about holidays he celebrates and explained them. Minutes turned to hours as they rolled past. They ate a lot of microwave junk food and she held a turtle for the first time. Before they knew it, Dustin's mom pulled up and they both ran into his room, leaving the mess in the kitchen.

"Dusty? Are you home?" They heard her call out from the kitchen.

"Shit." He cursed. Mel sat on his bed, crossing her legs. "Just stay there. I'll be back." Dustin left to confront his mother and made up a reason why he wasn't at school.

Dustin was kind of bummed that he couldn't take Mel trick or treating with him but the boys had this planned for months. He was worried now because the bad men were probably looking for her right now. Just because Mel was there, didn't mean they were going to cancel the best night of the year for them. He knew it would be a risk taking her. If the boys continued with their plan, no one would suspect them having anything to do with Mel. "Dusty! I want pictures of you before you go!" His mom called out.

"Coming!" He shouted back. Dustin turned to Mel and said, "Remember, while I'm gone, the door stays locked." She nodded. "Keep quiet and I guess you see what else you're capable of." He told her. "I think you can do more than see the future." He grinned before shutting the door. Mel jumped off the bed and went to lock the door like he showed her. She understood what he wanted her to do even though she had no idea what capable meant.

A/N:
i've just realized that "mel" is similar to "el" this was not intentional but it works.
i want season three right now. bye.