1

I was laying in the kennel I've been in for three years when I heard the door open.

"We have many dogs that are trained for PTSD, anxiety, and depression. We take great pride in giving these retired dogs new purpose,".

I got up and took a few laps of water when steps stopped in front of my cage, causing me to look up.

"What's this one's story?" A blonde man asked, the handler of the kennel snapped his focus on me.

There was a one-armed man lingered behind the blonde.

"That's Tack, she's been here for three years. She was in the marines before her handler was killed in action. She was honorably discharged due to depression and refusal to accept a new handler,".

I laid back down on the dog bed in the corner, "What's she trained to... help with?" The blonde asked.

The handler grabbed the clipboard attached to my gate and started to flip through the pages.

"Tack here is trained to assist with PTSD, anxiety, depression, and she can sense strokes. She also has her military training,".

I yawned and the blonde looked at the lingering man, "It's up to you Buck."

The other man stiffened under the attention.

"You wanna meet her first?" The blonde asked.

He gave a slow nod.

"That's fine, do you want us to be in here when you do?"

Buck shook his head as the handler opened my kennel.

The two of them left the room, but Buck seemed unsure of what to do. He stared at me for a few moments before deciding to try to sit down on the floor.

He was struggling with it, so I darted over to his right side and let him use me as a sort of brace.

I sat down in front of him when he'd finally gotten to the floor.

After another few moments, he hesitantly reached out a hand, putting it on the back of my neck.

It took almost a minute and a half for him to start petting me.

It took another ten minutes before the handler and the blonde walked back in.