Questions of the Heart

Ya Lun woke up. His head hurts a lot. Groaning, he opened his eyes. He quickly shut them though when he saw who was beside him.

Darn it. What did I do?

Opening his eyes, he studied the figure beside him. He let his energy flow, checking. He sighed in relief when he didn't feel any residue of it in her.

Good. That means I didn't claim her unknowingly. He got up. Gently, carrying Lan Shang so he wouldn't wake her. He didn't want to deal with her right now.

An hour later...

He was done training and had just gotten back to the ice palace when he saw Ka Suo, Li Luo, and Shi gathered on the balcony. It looks like they were talking about something serious so he turned around not wanting to disturb them but Li Luo spotted him.

"Ya Lun!" she called out. "Come here!"

He did with hesitation. "What is it? You three look really serious."

Li Luo showed him a poster. Ya Lun's eyes widen but then quickly put on a neutral expression. On the poster was his female self. It stated that she was missing. What's his father scheming now!?

"Princess Yan Da," he uttered.

"Have you heard something about her in your travels?" Surprisingly, it was Ka Suo who asked.

"I heard about her victories in the battlefield. But news about her recently no." Ya Lun stated. His eyes on the poster. If he looked at them, something would probably give him away. His thumb brushed her image. He missed being Yan Da. "Why is this with you anyway? I thought she is your enemy?"

"She is," Shi answered. "That's why we're curious as to where she is. We don't want to be caught off guard."

Ya Lun smiled bitterly inside. Hurt. He really hates me huh? Should I change my plan and look for another mate? I'm running out of time. Even now, I could feel my body pulsate with uncontrolled powers. Also, my mating season is near. If I didn't have someone by then... I'll lose control and claim anyone.

"Ya Lun?"

Li Luo's voice pulled him back to reality.

Ya Lun looked at the poster again. "Sorry. She's just really beautiful. Can I have this?"

In an instant, the poster in his hand was gone. He looked at Shi in surprise. The prince's expression was cold and did he just see possessiveness in his eyes?

~Time Skip~

Li Luo and Yan Lun were left in the balcony. Ka Suo and Shi went to talk to the other leaders.

"Li Luo, can I ask you something?"

"What is it?"

"How does it feel like to be with the one you love?"

Li Luo was surprised at the question but then smiled. "It feels like every day is a blessing. With just his smile, you feel complete. Your tiredness will be gone completely with a simple touch. Every moment with him is a treasure. Something that nothing can compare to. In five words, a beautiful gift to be cherished."

Ya Lun looked at the falling snow wistfully as she told him those words. His heart ached in longing. To be loved back by the one you love. He wanted that. To have what they have. He loves Ying Kong Shi but it seems like the other only sees his other form as an enemy. He bit his lip. Should he look for another? But who would love Yan Da when all they see is the tribe she is from but not who she is? And if how about his female mate? If she finds out, would that person still love him? Them?

For the first time, he felt fear and uncertainty filled his mind. Who would love his two forms fully?

Li Luo watched Ya Lun in concern. She could feel intense and conflicted emotions pouring out of him. His eyes were also shifting. Gold and red. He looked so unsure that it was bothering her.

"Does this have to do with the question you have asked me before?" She voiced out. Ya Lun looked at her in confusion. "Remember? When you asked me about "good women"?

He winched at that, making her chuckle. "It's okay. I know you didn't mean it in an offensive way. Tell me. There's something that's going on isn't it?"

Ya Lun opened his mouth but didn't speak. Seeing his hesitation, she patted his shoulder comfortingly. "Tell me. It's not good if you bottle it all in." She urged. He gave in.

"I need to choose someone to be my mate..." He confessed. "Or I'll perish before this month ends."