Chapter Three

Emerson had always been a man of few words. But ever since his mate died, he had become a man of punches and growls. The only reason that he hadn't killed himself to be with his dead mate was because he had a pack to run and he had no heir. Sure, his Beta could have taken over. But he had Beta blood, not Alpha blood.

     So that is why, years after her death, he was training in his personal gym. Training helped take his mind off of her. That, and issues dealing with the pack and others but mostly his dead mate.

      So, he lost himself in the workout, his eyes closed and thinking about nothing but the burning of his muscles. He kept pushing himself and pushing himself, going beyond his limits. As he was just finally beginning to relax, his music shut off.

      A growl escaped passed his lips and he opened his eyes to find his father towering above him, arms crossed. From the look on his face, he could his father wasn't happy with him, but then again, when was he ever?

      Emerson sat up, running a hand through his hair. He grabbed a towel and wiped the sweat off of his chest and neck. He knew that whatever talk was about to happen, wasn't going to be short. "What have I done now to have disappointed you?"

     "This time, nothing. I've been discussing things with the pack, and we have all agreed that this has gone on too long." He gestured to his son, "It's obvious you won't hand the pack over someone else, and everyone is struggling with only you to rule." His father took a seat. "So, I've arranged a mating ceremony with you and Mystic Peak's Alpha's sister."

     His father waited for the yelling, the growling, the wolf, but nothing came. All there was was a burning, hot rage in Emerson's eyes. So, he continued, as if it was nothing. "She lost her mate a few years ago. I have intel that she is caring and kind. That she fits the quota a Luna should have. And this pack has gone on too long without a Luna. I will not let you destroy what I have worked hard to create."

     Emerson's entire body shook. He wanted to replace her. They all wanted to replace her. How could they? How could they betray her, betray him like that? He could take care of the pack, he didn't need anyone's help. And so, he told his father just that.

     "Have I not carried this pack to victory? Have I not protected this pack just fine on my own? Have I not cared for them?" His voice continued to get louder and louder until he was yelling. "I don't need another Luna! I can do this on my own!"

     But his father, always a placid man, remained unaffected by this. "Yes, you do. Your pack is falling apart on you. They are losing hope more and more each day. You are not enough for this pack anymore. Your time for grieving is over. You can either accept this arrangement or I will convince the Council to give me back the pack as you are unable to care for them." And then he was gone, leaving a shaking Emerson, who was trying to control his wolf from killing his own father.

     The wolf in him wanted to be released and kill. Kill those who have lost faith in him. Kill those who have conspired against him. Kill them all.

     He slammed his fist against the wall, the pain helped him keep control of himself. That was why his father had come to him. That was why his had made that agreement. And that was why the council would give the pack to his father if it came to it.

     He refused lose his pack. He had worked so hard to be a good Alpha. To protect and cherish them. He would not lose them, today, tomorrow, or ever. But the only other option was to become mated someone who wasn't his mate. For the good of the pack. He told himself. For the good of the pack.

     So, Emerson went his father and bit out a harsh fine. His father beamed. "Good, because she'll be here in two days. I'll announce it to the pack tomorrow. Now you should go and clean up you Wing. Who knows what you've done in there." His father said, walking towards his office. "Don't worry about plans. I have it covered. You better be on your best behavior. If you scare her off I'll contact the Council."