Chapter Twenty

Fireworks.

   Everywhere he touched her, there were fireworks erupting.

   The kiss was full of passion and desire, something Madeline never thought she'd have with Emerson. He was always neutral or angry. He never acted as though he was a lover, just a fighter.

   But what was between them was raw and real. This love, this passion, it was not some conjure of imagination. It was not fake or using each other. It was not to forget. Their love was real.

   Madeline slid her hands into his hair, pressing her body closer, closer until she wasn't sure where she ended and Emerson began.

   She was too impatient to pull off his clothes, and he seemed to have the same mindset as he ripped her shirt from her body. It was a good thing that she didn't care for that shirt. Otherwise she would have been upset enough to pull back and scold him for it. She couldn't complain either because she ripped his shirt too.

   Her hands left his hair and ran over the muscles of his chest. Madeline pulled away at the sound of his groan. She reached her hand up and stroked his cheek. His eyes fell closed as he tilted his head into her head. She trailed her fingers down his neck and to his chest. She took her time exploring every muscle, every ridge, every scar she could see and touch.

   Last time had been unpleasurable. It had been done because they had too. But this time, this time she wanted to take her time. She wanted to explore him. She wanted to learn what would make him explode, what turned him on, what caused him to fall over the cliff into desire. She wanted to learn it all. She wanted to it right this time.

   He groaned again, though it sounded more painful this time. She understood why, she felt why against her thigh. But when she tried to unbutton his jeans, he snatched her hands. He gently placed them back on his chest.

   Message received.

   It was his turn to explore her.

   A single claw ripped her bra and he removed it from her. For a moment, he just stared at her and it began to make her nervous.

   Did he not like what he saw?

   Was there something wrong with her body?

   But then he cupped her breasts and she shoved those silly questions away. She held onto his biceps. Her head fell forward once he started to knead them. It didn't last as long as she would have liked. She whimpered when his hands moved down to her stomach. His finger traced the pale, horizontal line across her stomach. She was thankful he didn't ask what happened.

   His hands slid back up until they cupped her cheeks. He leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers. It was much slower this time, passionate yes, but slower. Exploring.

   He nipped at her bottom lip and she opened her mouth for him. He swept in the moment her lips parted. He tasted and explored every inch of her mouth, and she him.

   At some point, he stood up, keeping her in his arms. She wrapped her legs around his waist and his hands gripped her ass in support. He carried her the short distance to their bed and he laid her down so gently, so delicately. Madeline could almost cry at the tenderness he was showing her.

   Emerson kneeled in between her legs. He strong hands took off her shoes and tossed them aside. He gently undid the button on her jeans. She raised her hips for him and slowly inched them off her body.

   Madeline suddenly was very glad that she had shaved them the day before, otherwise, he would be dealing with guerrilla legs.

   He picked up on a leg and skimmed his lips along her ankle, her calf.