The Other Half

Arohi had a wonderful morning with her mom literally dragging her of the bed. Seeing her puffy eyes and slumped shoulders her dad asked worried "kya hua beta? Haven't u slept well?

Before she could clear her sleep deprived mind enough to answer him her mom said " Murthy ji aap he ise bigad rahe hain. Kal 8 baje he chali gayi thi yeh apne kamre mein sone keliya"
(Murthi ji. You are the one who is spoiling her. Yesterday she went to sleep at 8pm.)

'Yeah right' Arohi thought. The abrupt ending of the diary kept nagging her. Aakhir hua kya tha?(what had actually happened?)

She decided to pry into it herself.

"Ma, why did Nandini di go to London ?" She asked trying to sound casual.

Mrs. Murthy stood silent for a second thinking about it.

"woh hamein bhi patha nahi tha ki woh ithni jald bazi me kyoun gayi .(even we didn't know why she left so abruptly) When we returned after the navrathri pooja she was all set to go. She just said she had to leave and not to worry. She didn't even contact us for a whole year. We were worried sick. Then we came to know about Rishab's treatment and we let it slide. I knew that Nandu wouldn't do something like that without a reason. " she said more to herself than to Arohi.

'Hmmm. Something did happen. It was not just for Rishabh bhai's treatment. Wait navrathri...woh toh October mein hain na. But last entry was on july. Did I miss something?' She rushed back to her room to check it.'

She flipped through the pages, indeed there were no entries for almost a month but then, she saw it

3rd August 2013

Dhruv says he likes me. I told him I am too broken and can't do it again. But the fact that Dhruv likes me makes me wonder if this was the reason why he ended it. Something tells me that he was lying when Manik said it was just a joke to him. Maybe it was this hope that had kept my broken heart beating all this while. I am afraid to hope because I don't think I have the strength to get hurt again. But I can't help it but hope. Fireflies wouldn't lie, right?

15 August

I was right. Finally I got him to admit it. I'm so relieved. Stupid Malhothra. I hate him. He so deserved my slap. I'm not a toy to be passed from one friend to another. I'm never going to forgive him.

7 September

This guy is driving me nuts. He thinks he can make me forgive him with his cute antics. He so much mistaken. But I feel my resolve weakening every time I am close to him. God I hate the fact that I still love u Mr. Manik Malhothra.

1 st November

Stupid idiot cute gadha seems hell bent on winning me back. Poor guy ...little does he know that I've already given up fighting him. But I'm gonna put up with the act for a few more days. Nandini Murthy can't give in so easily, can she?

12 th November

I can't lose him again. I'll wont let anything happen to him. Even of I've to stay away from him. I love u Manik and will keep loving you till my last breath ...

That was the last entry and the ink was smudged with dried tears. She frantically searched the pages for more but came up with nothing. What happened all of a sudden? Something went terribly wrong for sure. Arohi gently felt the page with her fingers, her own eyes filled with tears. 'Koi kisi se ithna pyar kaise kar saktha hai?'(How can anyone love like this?)

Nandini di is in London I wonder where her Manik is right now? She thought.

Mumbai

Iktara music company, one of the top in India, stood high and proud in the city of Mumbai. Inside the huge building a poor guy was running through the escalators and jumping over the tables. Finally he reached in front of the CEO's cabin catching his breath and straightening his tie. With his hands shaking he slowly opened the doors after taking permission.

"Sir, fusion concert project details are ready"

His boss was sitting in his chair with his back to him.

"When did I tell u to get it done?" A dangerously low voice asked him.

" yest...yesterday , sir" he said" but I had to leave yesterday because my wife wasn't well...

"ENOUGH" Manik Malhothra's voice echoed around the room. "I don't want to hear your pathetic excuses. When I say I want it I get it . Do you understand? If this happens one more time you are fired. Get that?"

"Yes sir"

"Get out"

Aman, PA of Manik Malhotra gave a deep sigh. He knew he was next in line to get Manik's lashings. He needed to stop Manik from firing half the staff so he called his lifeline no.

Dhruv's phone was unreachable. Aman sighed. Looks like the odds are not in his favour today. He heard something crashing inside Manik's office. Uh ho. He had to do something and fast. He dialed Aliya's number.

"Maa'm, its Aman. I couldn't reach Dhruv sir. Can I speak to him?"

"Yeah. Ok " she replied caressing her baby bump and called out to Dhruv, her husband.

Dhruv came rushing down. "Kya hua Aliya? Are you all right?"

"I'm fine" she said smiling at her caring hubby. "Aman is on line... I think it's Manik."

Dhruv took the phone from her and assured Aman that he was on his way.

Dhruv was the only one who could calm Manik. He was finding it difficult day after day to watch his best buddy losing himself. After that day five years back Manik had never touched his guitar or sang a song. He just supervised everything. Dhruv who knew his buddy understood the hurt he was trying to hide beneath his anger.

'Oh god. Pease give him back his smile. Please give him back his Nandini.'

Miles away as if God heard his prayers, things were slowly clicking into place.

Arohi promised herself that she'll do everything in her power to bring manan back together.

Nandini and Rishab boarded their flight from London.

And a phone rang some where in Malhothra mansion...