The tale of a bride

5 months later

A hugely pregnant Aliya was lying on the bed with her head resting against the headboard. She was glaring at the bride through the mirror muttering under her breath. Mukthi was trying her level best to avoid her best friend's gaze. Nandini and Navya were fussing over her lehenga and ornaments getting her ready for her marriage function that will be held in a few hrs. Even they were giving her heavy glances making her more tensed than she already was.

When she saw Alya stretching her back for the fifth time she felt guilt eating her up. She gave a sigh of resignation and sat beside her rubbing her back.
"Yaar! Kya zaroorat thi tumhe aane ki? You should've been in the hospital right now. It's just a marriage you health is much more important than this." Mukthi said helping her to a glass of water.

"I'm fine Mukthi. My delivery date is a week from now. I'll manage." Alya said brushing her off. "But tum jo karne wali ho na it's not right. I can't just sit back and enjoy while my best friend decides to be stupid and get married to a stranger."

"He is not a stranger, Alya. I've known him for five months." Mukthi said. "Anyway this is not a typical marriage and you know it"

"Exactly my point." Alya said frustrated. "Marriage is not a give and take Mukthi. It's a bond of a lifetime. I know your past experiences with love were not very encouraging but pls don't give up. I'm sure you'll find your soulmate someday. This marriage is more like a buissness deal. You won't be happy in it. I don't want to see you getting hurt again" Alya said her eyes getting moist.

"She is right, Mukthi. As you know me and Cabir share a marriage of convenience. I'm happy with him but that is because Cabir is my bestfriend more than my husband. There is definitely a part of me that yearns for love but it's bearable because I have Cabir" Navya said " but I don't think Mr. Agarwal can even be a friend to u. He is just... "

"An asshole" Alya said finishing her off. " Seriously yaar! Aur koi nahin mila kya tujhe"

" Pls yaar! We've had this conversation a hundred times." Mukthi said exasperated. She was having a severe case of cold feet already and her friends were definitely not helping her cause.

Nandini noticed the tense line of her shoulder. "No matter what you decide Mukthi. We'll always be there by your side" She said with a reassuring hand on shoulder. " Aur waise bhi I think Mr. Agarwal will think twice before doing anything to hurt you. Alya's punch does leave a lasting impression on a guy." Nandini said smiling.

"Damn right it does!" Alya said cracking her knuckles.

Mukthi couldn't help but laugh at the memory.

.....
5months back...

"You are her what? !" Cabir asked the half eaten apple falling off his fingers.

"F..I..A..N..C..É...E ! " Ankit said dragging the words sarcastically. " You know like the guy, who she is going to marry" he said almost with a scoff.

Cabir narrowed his eyes but before he could retort Mukthi was already at it.
She pulled him down to her eye level by his collor and said in a low dangerous voice "Enough! You maybe be fiancée but don't think I'll sit by and watch while you make fun of my friends. I'll deal with them while you can help by keeping your trap shut" she all but hissed under her breath.

Ankit straightened prying her wrist away from off his shirt. He raised an eyebrow and with a half smirk said loudly " No promises sweetheart" ending it with a wink.

Mukthi was trying hard to remember all the reasons she needed him alive, unfortunately for him the list was quite short. She came crashing back to reality when she heard Alya's furious voice.