Four

Raven pressed her hands up against the glass. The last few days had passed by in a blur. Scientists came frequently to examine her, but they seemed to ignore her pounding on the glass. Occasionally, they would press a button, and within seconds something in one of her IVs would put her to sleep.

Today, there seemed to be more lab coats than usual gathered around the tank Raven had been suspended in since her kidnapping. One of them typed something into the control panel on the wall next to Raven. A red liquid entered the IV attached to her right arm.

Raven could just make out what the man standing in front of the group was saying. He seemed to be the leader. The nametag on his lab coat read 'Overseer.'

"One of Scorpion's cryokinetics generously offered to donate a sample of his blood," the man said. "Since we allowed the subject's body to rest for a few days after giving her the Phoenix Serum, we are hopeful that her body will adapt and handle the new abilities better than the previous subjects."

Raven watched as the blood entered her arm through the IV, a mixture of shock and fear welling up in her chest. Cryokinetic? What did that even mean?

Vertigo washed over her. The edges of her vision turned black and Raven closed her eyes. What was happening? She just wanted to go home. A pit opened up in her stomach.Her parents must be worried sick.

Raven's body went cold, as if she were turning to ice. She wrapped her arms around herself and grimaced, trying to fight off nausea and a sudden wave of exhaustion. Her limbs grew colder, and colder, and colder...

And the world went dark.

~

John watched frost cover Subject 18's skin as she went unconscious, turning her skin from brown to almost white. Ice crept up the inside of the suspension tank. While the others took notes, he slid his hands into the pocket of his lab coat.

The previous Phoenix, Subject 17, had almost been a success. The only issue came when they tried to add on too many abilities. That was what killed off most of the subjects. They'd found a way to remove the powers and save Subject 17 from death, but they'd been unable to undo the Phoenix Serum itself.

He still couldn't believe they'd lost her so easily. SCI had figured out their location, and in the rush to move, an agent had grabbed her. She'd been sent off into the world, just like the other Altered the government rescued from Cladis Point.

They lost a lot of valuable information on the project, and having Subject 17 around would've saved them a lot of time. But they were here now. And this time, they'd be more careful.

John had high hopes for Raven. Rather than the usual procedure performed on the other Altered, he planned to wipe her memories entirely. With the only thing on her mind being his orders, she should be focused enough to reach the full potential of her abilities.

And if this girl couldn't handle the power, they'd find someone who could.

~

Claire grimaced as the hallway lights turned on. Footsteps came toward her cell, and she forced herself to sit up. She had no idea if it was day or night. She'd been in a constant state of drowsiness since she'd been brought to this place.

Scientists came in periodically to draw blood, give her food, and take notes. Claire was so tired, so scared, so desperate, she read each and every one of their minds. She'd learned she was in a place called Cancer. After dropping her off, the Altered had left. There was no Claudia or Ash or anyone else here. The only familiar face was John Smith.