Seventeen

Smith spread the map out on the table in front of him. Icarus watched as he explained which areas were most heavily guarded, as well as the location of their target.

"It will be nearly identical to the Fragment you took from the museum," he explained. "But there will be one notch on the bottom instead of five."

"Understood," Arachne said.

"Now here's the most important part." Smith's expression grew dark. "Before you go, I need to wipe my name from your memories. If you're successful, I will give it to you again upon your return."

"Why can't we know your name?" Icarus asked, trying to sound merely curious rather than suspicious.

"The man you're stealing from cannot know I sent you. Don't worry, the process won't be painful in any way. Any other questions?"

"Will Raven be joining us again?" Icarus asked.

Smith's expression darkened. "Not this time." He stood up and headed toward the door. "Now come with me."

As they traveled through the halls, Smith pulled a walkie-talkie from his pocket. "This is John Smith to Unit 5. Have you found Ash and Ivy?"

A burst of static was his only response. Smith cursed and returned the radio to his pocket. They reached a door that Smith had to unlock with a key before leading them inside.

The room was mostly bare. A metal chair with a control panel on its side sat in the center, next to a table covered in vials, needles, and wires connected to electrodes.

Rivera sat in a small, plastic chair next to the rest of the equipment, fiddling with the control panel.

"Rivera," Smith said. "Wipe our names and the location of this place from their memory, then send them on their mission with the new comms."

Rivera nodded. "Where are you going?"

"I have to figure out what happened to the soldiers I just sent out."

Smith left, closing the door behind him. A chill ran down Icarus's spine as the lock clicked.

"Who wants to go first?" Rivera asked as she stood up.

"I will," Icarus volunteered. May as well get it over with. Doing his best to appear calm, he walked over to the metal chair and sat down. He flinched as cold metal touched his skin.

Rivera picked up a needle and held it to his neck. "Don't worry, you'll only be out for a minute. This will be simple compared to other procedures we've done." There was a prick, and everything went black.

Unconsciousness tugged at Icarus, begging to pull him under. He was just about to succumb when a girl's voice echoed in his mind.

Is anyone listening?

Suddenly, Icarus was floating in complete darkness. "Hello?" he asked.

Who are you?

Icarus recognized the voice. He tried to move, but he seemed to be paralyzed. "Raven? How are you talking to me?"

Please. I just want to go home.

Then she was in front of him, the only thing visible in the pitch black. Raven floated with her eyes closed, her black hair drifting lazily around her face.

"Where are we?" Icarus asked.

Raven's mouth didn't move, but her voice was loud and clear. They made you too, didn't they? You're one of their weapons.

"Where are we?" Icarus repeated. "Raven, don't you recognize me? It's Icarus. We went on a mission together."

I've been unconscious for days. Trapped in my own subconscious. My memories are starting to resurface. I've been regaining control, but now they're going to wipe my mind again.