17

I'm skipping around the forest, excited for my birthday party. Hunter said to go to our secret place, I'm really excited about it.

Hunter is my best friend, we always throw each other the best party's ever!

I get to the little pond and go over to the fallen tree we use as a bench. I see a note lying on it.

Picking it up, I read:
'Hey Lexi! Happy 10th! I made up a kind of game for your birthday! You didn't really think I would bring the pack to our secret spot, did you? I will leave clues and you can follow the trail to get to your party! Have fun! First clue:
(A/n, sorry I'm so bad at rhyming 😂 bare with me for the next bit)
Face wheat of the pond, go fifty steps forward. Don't steal my things, they're not almonds!
Have fun, chicken nugget!
-Hunter'

I frowned at the letter and tried to figure it out. "Face wheat..." I mumbled.

I looked round the pond to see if there was any wheat, but there was none in eye sight.

I decided to search around and came across some cut grass covering something. I moved the grass and saw a compass, smiling when I remembered how my mum and dad would teach me to remember it.

"Never eat shredded wheat." I said to myself. Then something clicked. Wheat! Face West! I checked for where west was on the compass and stood by the pond, facing the right direction. "Take fifty steps..."

I skipped forward for fifty counts and came to a tree. I remembered what the note said and looked up to see a type of nut that looked sort of like almonds... if you close your eyes and think of almonds, that is. There was a note pinned to the tree. I pulled it down and read it.

'You found me! Yippee! Now go find the stuff that makes up coffee!'
It said. Coffee?

What, so I need to find coffee beans? I had heard we had one of those trees, although it was from centuries ago when our pack needed the land to grow food to survive, rather than to run in.

I headed towards the tree and after about a half hour I got to the old unused place.

After searching, I finally found the note which read:
'Yay! You're here! How were you so quick? I thought you would want to go to the dip!'

I sighed and headed to what was known as, 'the dip'. It was a great ravine that was about twenty minutes away.

After walking for what felt like days, I got to the dip and saw, to my relief, chairs! Ok, so there were tables, food and my fellow pack members, but come on!

There are chairs! I basically sprinted to the comfiest looking one and plopped down in it, getting comfy as I gave my legs a brake.

Hunter came up to me, but before he could say anything, he spilt his drink on me so it looked like I peed myself. I frowned and scrunched my eyebrows together.

I know this is a memory, but this didn't happen. Everything slowly faded as I woke up.

I sat up and saw, to my horror... my water just broke.

I screamed as loud as I could and Aiden bolted up, jumping out the bed and looking round for danger.

"What's wrong?" He asked when he looked down at me.

"I-I think my water just broke!" I stuttered.

He stared open mouthed at me before running to my side of the bed, picking me up bridal style and running out the room.