Chapter 11 (rough draft)

Kenric heard Ivy scurry to catch up to his rapid strides, but he made no attempt to slow down. He wasn't going to leave her, but he had no desire to make it easy for her either. Because of her, he had lost the best horse he had ever owned, the sword that had belonged to his father, and several days of his relaxing journey home. He had warned her, but did she listen? No. Then she knocked him over when he was trying to help her. What was wrong with her?

She was a pest, a varmint sent to destroy his life and his sanity. Yet she was just innocent enough to make him feel guilty for such thoughts. He did not want to feel sorry for her at that moment, so he turned his attention to his horse.

How was he going to get her back? The men couldn't be too far ahead. They couldn't ride fast while leading a third horse. And their horses had seemed tired from their hard ride. If he kept a rapid pace, he might be able to catch up when they stopped to rest the horses.

"Kenric!" Ivy called behind him.

He ignored her and increased his speed.

"Kenric! Wait. Forgive me!"

He heard her footsteps change from a quick walk to a full run. She grabbed his arm and tried to pull him to a stop. He shook her off. "I have to get my horse." He glanced back at her. "You may come if you choose, but do not slow me down."

"How are you going to get her?" she panted.

He would not feel bad for her and he would not slow down. "I'm not sure. Perhaps I will just let you make friends with another set of scoundrels along the road. With their help we can get out of this bad situation into a worse one. That seems to be the only thing you are good at."

She took several breaths. "I did not mean for any of this to happen."

"Of course you didn't. And you're the king's daughter," he mocked. He knew he shouldn't be so harsh, but he couldn't hold back his frustration.

She said nothing more and neither did he.

They walked in silence for about an hour when Kenric saw something on the road ahead. He grabbed Ivy's arm and ducked into the bushes along the road. He kept hold of her and crept through the woods toward the movement on the road.

To his amazement, he saw the two men and Sweetie ahead of them.

"Curse this horse!" the dark-haired man cried. He looked not at Sweetie, but at one of the other horses. "How could it throw a shoe?"

The blond man swore. "How should I know? Maybe you should check the shoes before you steal the horse."

The dark man shoved the blond. "Just fix it!"

"It isn't something I can fix without tools."

The dark-haired man joined in the cussing and Kenric wished he could plug Ivy's ears. He might drop a little curse or two here and there, but his language was far less foul than those men's.

"Stay here," he whispered to Ivy, then he crept forward, hoping she would actually follow his council this time.

"Forget the senseless horse!" The dark-haired man said. "I will take this one instead." He pointed at Sweetie. "Leave the lame one here to die."

Kenric broke into a run. He flew from the woods into the clearing, bent down, and threw himself at the man. His shoulder drove into the man's stomach.