Chapter 30 (rough draft)

Ivy tried to call his name, but nothing came out. A guard shoved her roughly toward the gallows and the drum roll began again.

She fought against the guard and tried to look back at Kenric, but he had vanished within the crowd.

"Kenric!" she screamed. "Please! I don't want to die!"

The soldiers grabbed her arms and dragged her forward. She kicked and screamed until she stood before a rope. The drum stopped beating and her screams ceased. A soldier reached for the noose and looped it over her head.

Murmurs arose from the crowd. "What is that on her dress?"

"Do you see it?"

"What could it be?"

"It looks like a broach."

"The sapphire broach! She bears the sapphire broach!"

Ivy looked passed the noose to her chest. There in the exact spot where Kenric had fiddled with her hem, hung the sapphire broach. It sparkled and shone in the last glow of the sunset.

"She is the Missing Child!" someone shouted.

The soldier beside her removed the noose from around her neck and drew her away from the gallows. "Your Highness." He bowed.

"Hang her!" Rymond screamed.

Ivy knew she had to step into her role at that moment or Rymond and his followers would conquer again. So, hands still tied together in front of her, and body quaking, she matched Rymond's command with one of her own. "Seize him!"

Soldiers turned on each other and chose their loyalty. Rymond ordered his men to attack while those loyal to the true crown stood to defend her. Fighting broke out and the townspeople fled or joined in the fight.

"Your Highness," a soldier bowed. "We must get you to safety."

A wall of men surrounded her and guided her into the palace. They took her to her mother's old chambers and cut her bands.

"Please remain here, Your Highness," another soldier said. "We will guard you until Rymond and all who remain loyal to him are captured."

"Thank you." Ivy trembled and felt rather numb. Her head spun from all that had happened and she needed time to think, but she couldn't think with everything racing around in her head.

With a deep breath, she forced herself to calm down. She gazed around her mother's chambers. It seemed that nothing had been disturbed since her death. A thick layer of dust covered everything, her bed sheets had yellowed with age, and a book lay open and face down on a table as though waiting all those years for someone to come along and finish the tale.

She brushed off a chair and sneezed from the dust, then sat upon it. Her heartbeat finally slowed and she let her mind work its way back through the events of the evening. She had returned to her throne and found many still loyal to her family. Rymond's treachery had been exposed and he had fled. Soldiers pursued him and his wicked followers. She had nearly been hung, but Kenric had come with the broach. Somehow he had found it and saved her again. He had kissed her . . .

"Kenric!" She felt herself finally lose control of her emotions. She had to find him. She raced back through the room of memories, and pounded on the door where she knew the guards waited.

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"Please. The man who . . ." She brushed at the tears on her cheeks. "The man who kissed me, I must find him."

"I am sorry, Princess, but I cannot let you out there right now. It isn't safe until Rymond is captured. Even now the streets are a great battle. You have just returned. I cannot allow you to be harmed."

"I understand." She slipped back inside and closed the door, then fell to her knees and sobbed. Her neck itched in memory of the noose hanging about it, and her lips burned in memory of the kiss.

She wanted Kenric, but he had vanished into the crowd. Perhaps he had only felt duty bound to help her as a former soldier. Maybe that was the only reason he had come. How had he known anyway? And how had he found the broach? So many question and so many problems to right in her kingdom.

She sucked in several great breaths to quiet her tears. She didn't have time to think about Kenric yet. She had to fix the mess her kingdom had become, which meant she had to stop a war that was likely to arrive shortly.

Her stomach rumbled and she felt suddenly weak. How long had it been since she had eaten?

A knock sounded on her door. "Princess?" a female voice rang out.

She stood and opened the door. Several maids and a servant with trays of steaming food stood before her.

"We thought you might need to freshen up and eat, Your Highness," the same soldier said.

"Thank you."

The servant left the food on the table beside the book and exited while two maids drew up a bath and the third set about removing Ivy's filthy dress.

In less than an hour, she had eaten, bathed, dressed in a fresh velvet gown, and had her hair pinned atop her head.

A knock sounded on her door and a maid answered it. A guard stepped into her room. When he saw her he stopped and his jaw dropped.

Ivy blinked up at him. "What news do you bring?"

He shook his head. "Forgive me, Your Highness, but you look so startlingly like your mother." He dropped to his knee. "I am honored to serve you."

"Thank you." Her cheeks burned again. "Do you have word yet of Rymond?"

"Yes. He has been captured along with fifteen men. We believe there are five more men who fled with him, but everyone else has either already been imprisoned, or willingly pledged themselves to your servitude. It is imperative, however, that you officially claim the throne and take up the crown. Then you will take on all the ruling and charge of the kingdom."

"Of course. When must we do this?"

"The guards and prime minister are assembling now."

Everything was happening so fast. "Very well. I am ready."

She followed the guard from the room. The other soldiers fell into step behind them.

She gazed at the walls while she walked. Memories blossomed around her of the glorious days when she lived there with her parents. She recognized the tapestries, the intricately carved molding along the top of the walls, the spiral staircase, and the stained glass windows.

They arrived at the throne room once again, only this time it was filled with people. Soldiers lined the carpeted path to the throne where a bald-headed, gray-bearded man held a crown. It wasn't just any crown, it had been her mother's. She recognized the sapphire jewels that perfectly matched the broach that was pinned to her dress.

A grand and glorious ceremony took place and Ivy was crowned queen of Berryann. She willingly accepted her place as queen and vowed to serve her people. The congregation cheered and showered her with hugs and memories of her parents. It felt wonderful to be back in her home where she belonged, but she couldn't stop herself from scanning the gathered crowd in hopes of catching a glimpse of Kenric, even though she knew she wouldn't find him.

When he vanished into the crowd that evening, she had known he hadn't stayed. He had gone back home and taken her soul with him.