Epilogue

Kenric remained at the palace with Ivy for three weeks. In that time, Ivy set the rest of the kingdoms affairs in order. Aunt Maurie arrived, safe and well, having had no further trouble from Rymond's soldiers. The women embraced and held each other for a long time.

"Oh, Aunt Maurie!" Ivy wiped tears from her cheeks. "I feared they would harm you."

"No, child. It is I who feared for you." Maurie pulled her into her arms again. "I should never have let you run away alone, but it seems you have managed on your own. You are the queen!"

"I was never alone. That very day I was rescued by the most wonderful man. He has remained faithfully by my side through everything." She stepped to Kenric and took his hand. "Aunt Maurie, this is Kenric Mannering, the man I love."

Kenric stepped to Maurie. "Ivy did everything, I was simply there. And how grateful I am that I was. You have raised an amazing woman."

Maurie smiled. "Yes, I have. What a striking young man you are! Just perfect for my Ivy!"

He blushed as she continued. "Thank you for being there for her when she needed you."

They embraced, then Kenric smiled. "I told Ivy that if I ever had the opportunity to meet you then I must thank you for her impetuous behavior. She said she gets it from you. So thank you."

Maurie laughed. "Yes. That is my Ivy. Though I must admit I believe that quality actually came from her father."

Ivy invited Maurie to live in the palace, not as a worker as she once was, but as her honorary mother. Maurie willingly accepted and remained there until her death many glorious years later.

When all things were in order at the palace, Ivy and Kenric climbed into a royal carriage and, accompanied by ten soldiers, travelled back to Tolarre so that Ivy might meet Kenric's family.

Janie was the first to spot them. She ran from the house and screamed. Kenric's mother, Rodney, Anna, and the little ones followed.

As Kenric stepped from the royal carriage, they engulfed him, covering him with hugs and kisses.

"Where is she?" Janie asked before Kenric could even help Ivy from the carriage.

"Oh, Janie! Manners," Kenric's mother scolded.

Kenric laughed, gently brushed the little ones from around him, and held his hand out to Ivy. She took it and stepped from the carriage, her copper-blond hair and golden circlet catching the glorious rays of sunlight. Her crystal-blue eyes sparkled with joy. "Mother, this is Ivy. I mean Queen Gertrude Ivynona, the third of Ber—"

"Kenric," Ivy pushed him with her elbow. "Just Ivy."

He elbowed her back with a grin, then took her hand. "Mother, this is Ivy, your future daughter-in-law."

Janie squealed and threw her arms around Ivy as though they had known each other for years. Little Sarah copied her sister and hugged Ivy, too. Soon the entire family joined in, burying Ivy and Kenric in a pile of loving arms.

When they finally released them, Kenric's mother took both of Ivy's hands. "Oh, you darling woman and beloved queen! You look so very much like your mother. I don't know how my foolish son didn't see who you were immediately, but how grateful I am that he figured it out in time. We welcome you back to the throne and humbly—but so very excitedly—welcome you to our family!"

The End