Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 1

Seagulls and tourists flock to Brighton Pier. It's summer, and there is the smell of fresh seafood and the sounds of children's laughter on the breeze. I'm walking along the shore front, past the ice cream stands and the man blowing bubbles, and there's a song in my head, but I can only remember one line, so I'm repeating it over and over to myself, trying to catch the rest of the tune.

There's a cafe one street back from the beach, and that's where I'm headed. It's the place we would always hang out at after school, which is why it's fitting that we'd meet again there today. As I approach, I see the tables set out in the sunshine on the footpath, with the chairs facing the street like they do in Paris. There are fresh daffodils in vases on the tables. And Rachel, Kasey and Abby are already seated.

'Jane!' Rachel's voice is sing-song, and fake.

The three of them stand to greet me, and we exchange kisses and hugs like we're on an episode of Made in Chelsea. I take a seat, and take a moment to look, properly, at the three of them. It's the first time I've seen any of them in months.

Rachel has had the ends of her thick, dark hair highlighted to give her an ombre effect. She's already got a good tan going, helped along no doubt by her Italian heritage, and the white blouse she's wearing to show it off. She's wearing big, dangling pom pom earrings that dance as she moves her head. And she's got a smile plastered across her face, like it's the best thing in the world to see me.

As soon as we've sat down Kasey pulls out her phone and is staring at it, like she can't meet my eyes. Her skin is darker even than Rachel's, but her hair has been dyed blonde since she's been fourteen years old, which means people don't immediately realise she's Filipino. She's wearing activewear and a face full of makeup.

Abby is tall, lanky and long faced, but she's always been the one most popular with boys, because of her flirty, sexual humour. She's wearing a floaty red summer dress, and bikinis underneath, as if she's just about to go for a dip. She's glancing at Rachel as I sit down, as if waiting for Rachel to let her know what to do.

'It's so good to see you,' Rachel says, with intonation on every word.

'It's been so long,' I say. I wonder if my smile looks as fake as theirs.

'So,' Rachel says. 'Tell us all about London. Start from the beginning. Any cute boys?'

My mind instantly flicks to Harper, but I push the thought away.

'No cute boys,' I say resolutely. 'I'm on a break from boys. I'm just focusing on myself right now.'

'Ooh, that's good,' Kasey says. 'I should do that.'

'Not that you get any boys anyway,' Abby quips.

Kasey looks back down at her phone.

'So, come on,' Rachel says. 'How's your friend, Kitty?'

'Sister, actually,' I say.

'Oh right, yeah, she's your step-sister now, isn't she?' Rachel says. 'So cute.'

'Actually, turns out she's my biological half-sister,' I say flatly. 'My dad was screwing her mum way back when.'

'Oh my god,' Rachel says. 'Now that is goss.'

I shrug. 'My dad never told me. Actually, we still haven't spoken about it.'

'That's kinda messed up,' Kasey says.

'My family's pretty messed up,' I say.

'Aw, Jane,' Kasey says.

'So how is Kitty?' Rachel asks. 'Is she still all gothy and weird?'