Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 8

It turns out that no one is coming out other than Charlotte, Sylvie, and me, but I think of this as a good opportunity to get closer to Charlotte and Sylvie. After a rocky start with the two of them when I first started working at Brew Books, I'm now determined to show that I'm no longer playing that popularity game. Especially after everything that happened in Brighton. I've truly realised now that I don't want to allow shallow, petty competitiveness to rule my friendships.

At ten pm, after I've gone for a run, washed my hair, and made myself up, I head down to the bar, expecting to find the whole crew sitting down in the basement, like they usually are on a Saturday night. But it's just Harper, Sylvie and Charlotte behind the bar, and the others aren't around. They weren't upstairs in my flat, but maybe they were in the other flat across the hall, and I just didn't hear them.

'Where are the others?' Sylvie asks, as I take a seat at the bar.

'No clue,' I say.

'Drink?' Harper asks me. He's looking neat tonight; freshly shaven, with his hair pulled back.

'Of course, hit me,' I say, knowing that Harper will create something for me. Harper gets to work, and I turn back to Sylvie. 'So what's the plan tonight?'

'Well, we'll clear out the bar at closing time, and then we're meeting a couple of Charlotte's model friends, and going to Printworks,' Sylvie says. 'You've got toothpaste on your top.'

I look down, and start picking at the white speck on my black top. I'm wearing a black skirt, but the top is cropped, exposing my midriff, because I've got the tiniest bit of tan from days in the sunshine and I want to show it off.

'Model friends?' I repeat.

'They're cool, don't worry,' Sylvie says. She moves away from me for a moment to serve a few guys beer, and then comes back to me. 'Oh, and our friend Lou might join us.'

'I think I've met Lou,' I say. 'Short one? With the hair?'

'That's the one,' Sylvie says.

'Okay, here you go Jane,' Harper says. 'Try this and tell me what you think.'

It's a long drink, coloured just the tint of pink, or maybe purple, though it's hard to tell in the dim lighting of the bar. I take a sip and taste lavender, maybe, although I'm not sure.

'Rosé, lavender syrup, vodka, tonic,' Harper tells me. 'How is it?'

'Strong,' I say.

Harper grins and raises one eyebrow cheekily.

'Harper, go serve that guy,' Sylvie says, with a flick of her hair.

'You are loving having your long hair, aren't you,' I say. 'Flicking it everywhere.'

'It does give me a certain feeling of power,' Sylvie says. 'I can't believe you cut all of yours off. But sometimes there's a certain power in having crazy natural hair, too.'

'Yeah, I like your natural hair,' I say. 'Although we rarely see it.'

'So I was thinking,' Sylvie says, leaning over the bar towards me. Her sharp fake nails are painted blood red, and look like vicious claws. 'We need to convince Ed that it's a good idea to edit Matt's book and get his parents' permission to publish it.'

I bite my lip, surprised that Sylvie is bringing this up now. 'But Will already emailed the Lyndon-Reeds,' I say. 'It's out of our hands.'

'Not quite,' Sylvie says. 'At the moment Ed just wants to roll over and do whatever his parents say. He's so worried about this bookstore, as if his parents would just take it out from underneath him.'

'Wouldn't they?' I ask. 'From what he's said, his parents sound like horrible people.'

'They can't be that horrible, if they've managed to produce Matthew and Edgar,' Sylvie says. 'Anyway, this store doesn't do too badly. They're probably making a nice little profit off their son. Why would they want to close it?'

'If that's what you think,' I say, unsure. Ed seemed really worried about his parents' reaction.

'It's fine,' Sylvie says. 'But his parents have the right to never publish Matt's book, and keep it from the world. But I think if anyone can convince them, it's Ed. So we need to convince Ed to step up and talk to his parents.'

'What are you guys talking about?'

Charlotte was wandering around the bar, collecting glasses from tables, but now she returns to behind the bar. She's looking incredible tonight, with her cherry red hair pulled up into a perky ponytail, and her lips painted an equally bright red.

'Matt's memoir,' Sylvie says.

Charlotte sighs. 'I really want no part in this,' she says. 'I don't want to get in the middle of a Lyndon-Reed dispute.'

'Well Kitty's on our team,' Sylvie says.

'I don't think she is,' I say honestly. 'Kitty is on Ed's side. She doesn't want Ed upset about this.'

'But she wants Matt's memoir published!' Sylvie says.

'I know, but she's team Ed,' I say. 'And I'm not sure, I think I might be too. I'm really worried that Ed might be right.'

Sylvie groans. 'He's not right. He's scared of his parents! But this is important. For the world. The Lyndon-Reeds aren't all-powerful dictators.'

'Philip Lyndon is a politician, with a lot of money,' I remind Sylvie. 'Basically all-powerful.'

Sylvie rolls her eyes. 'Politicians should be afraid of the people.'

'That's not really the world we live in anymore,' I say glumly.

'Well, it can be,' Sylvie says boldly. 'We have more power than we know, Jane. And getting Matt's story out to the world gives more power to people who need it. We have to convince Ed.'

'I'm not getting involved,' Charlotte says. 'Oh my god, Harper, can you please tell that guy to fuck off? He keeps asking for my number and he is so wasted.'

Harper crosses the bar to talk to the offender, leaving me with the girls.

'So I got us a gram of coke for tonight,' Charlotte says. 'Jane, you want any?'

I bite my lip. 'I'll let you know later,' I say.

'No pressure,' Charlotte says.

Author's Note

So... do you think Jane should do coke again tonight???

xx Elle