Chapter 6: Death Pulse

16-24 WEEKS AFTER OUTBREAK

Many weeks later, the infected have devoured almost all of the Headcrab Zombies in Ravenholm and found many different ways outside of the abandoned town. The many infected that had been in Ravenholm broke loose into the Wastelands once again; scattering as far as reaching the location near Black Mesa East.

The Overwatch report the appearance of much more infected entering the open Wastelands, and soon confirmed that almost all the infected managed to escape Ravenholm after being able to feed inside of the town. The infected from Ravenholm, along with much more infected from near City 17, joined forces in the Wastelands and began outnumbering everything in their way.

Because of the drastic increase of infected in numbers in the Wasteland, battles broke out between them and the Overwatch, along with the alien creatures known as Antlions as a third party side. Within days, the infected grew so large in numbers that it had become troublesome for the Overwatch to deal with.

Weeks after the infected started appearing, large parts of the Wastelands had turned into a warzone. These parts of the Wasteland included the Combine city ruins and the coastlines. The Resistance members on the other hand, moved safely out of the warzones as the battles between the Combine and infected were ongoing.

While the battles were ongoing in the Wastelands, the Combine observed and studied live infected in the Citadel. Based on their many observations, they have seen that the infected, having rapid blood clotting, have the ability to completely heal cuts and wounds very quickly in less than minutes. They have also observed that the infected can withstand a lot of damage and injuries until they have become crippled.

Eventually, the infected grew so large in numbers that they were able to push through the Combine and Antlions in Highway 17 and managed to reach the locations near Nova Prospekt, a high security prison that had been taken over by the Combine. At this point, the Combine began creating and preparing pulse artillery or "dark energy" explosives to be deployed and used upon the infected.

At the meantime, the Overwatch started holding back the infected from Nova Prospekt and began to prioritize maintaining the infected. While the Combine became busy with this, the Resistance were given time to regroup and hide. The rebels also entered a few post-war zones to loot the specialized gear and weapons the fallen Overwatch soldiers were using. Because the rebels from the warzone looted these special gear, the Resistance started using them as an advantage in battleing the Combine and infected.

The refugees and rebels located near City 17 were handed these weapons, and were able to navigate through the areas more safely and easily by having the advantage against the infected. When the rebels in those areas began regrouping and started becoming stronger together, the infected were held back and repelled out of the areas near City 17, making it now safer for the rebels to navigate through and escape.

The news about the infected near the city disappearing was broadcasted on the radios used by the Resistance. Upon civilians becoming informed about this, most of the rebels inside Sector 17 planned an escape out of the city to regroup with the rebels in Black Mesa East and in the safe areas of the Wastelands. The rebels then got past the Combine, moved into the canals and out of the city safely without most of the infected being no longer around the areas.

At the same time this was happening, the infected from near City 17 joined forces with the ones already in the Wastelands and were able to push through the Overwatch defending Nova Prospekt. Having their defenses temporarily downed by the massive numbers of infected, Nova Prospekt was breached. The Combine guarding the interiors of Nova Prospekt started killing the infected and began attempting to re-establish their defense fields before the Antlions and other alien creatures begin invading the building.

The Combine prison guards were soon able to re-establish some of the defense fields in the areas, stopping the Xenian creatures from being able to invade Nova Prospekt. However, the defense fields within the buildings are still downed, and the prison guards are having a difficult time to reactivate them while many infected are invading the building.

A while later, the Overwatch came back and sent more units to Nova Prospekt to hold out the infected. The soldiers were eventually able to regain control of the building and have succesfully reactivated the defense fields of the building; stopping the infected from invading and finished off the remaining ones inside the building. Nova Prospekt is now safe and the infected fled from the area.

Soon, the Combine finally finished creating the artillery and prepared to deploy them across the Wastelands to kill the infected. An air raid siren was activated and heard across the Wastelands, signalling the remaining Combine in the area to flee before the pulse bombs are launched. The rebels in the Wastelands immediately fled the Wastelands, while the infected and Xenian creatures had no idea of what was about to happen.

After the sirens stopped, large parts of the Wastelands were then bombarded with several dark energy explosives, destroying and killing almost everything in the areas. The aftermath of these explosions killed many Xenian wildlife but also killed almost all the infected in the Wastelands

The Combine noticed the decreased population of civilians in City 17; finding out that the infected near the city have already disappeared. With the disappearance of the infected, the Combine now return focusing on the Resistance and the civilians. The Citadel was no longer put on full alert and both the Combine and Resistance went back to their normal business. However, this was not yet were the Nuclear Plague has ended.