Chapter 25

I needed a new bladder.

I was already close to peeing and if stuff like this kept happening my bladder was going to explode.

Everyone was silent and stood completely still as we stared down the tunnel at Jason Mask. He didn't move or say anything. He just stood there watching us.

I glanced towards my right where the tunnel we had just come from was. We couldn't go back that way unless we wanted to end up completely lost and risk running into another one of Dox's friends or back in the room full of pipes and I don't think anybody wanted that.

The only other way out was straight ahead. The tunnel that Jason Mask just so happened to be standing in front of.

Great.

We continued our little stare down with Jason Mask until he slowly lifted his arm and pointed his leather gloved finger straight ahead.

Right at Archer.

I glanced at Archer to see that his face had gone completely pale. It was the first time he had shown any signs of fear since we had been down here.

Jason Mask surprised everyone by moving his arm and then silently pointing at someone else.

Me.

Lovely.

My heart just about burst out of my chest. This was the one time where I wouldn't mind not being chosen. Why couldn't it be like gym class where I was always picked last because I pretty much sucked at anything that involved running, throwing, catching, climbing, jumping, or that made me sweat.

I continued to stare at Jason Mask, my heartbeat rapid, waiting for him to make a move.

I felt someone grab my hand just as I was thinking, Screw it. I'll take my chances getting lost, and almost bolted right there, until I looked down to see that it was Archer's hand. I glanced back up at him but he was still staring straight ahead at Jason Mask. I felt him squeeze my hand in what was probably meant to be reassurance but it only added to my fear.

"What do we do?" I heard Dylan whisper next to me.

That was a good question.

What did we do?

Jason Mask obviously knew what he wanted to do next because suddenly he started running towards us like we were the last piece of bacon left on earth.

I don't know about everybody else but my fight or flight instinct kicked in and I sure as hell wasn't about to fight. Everybody seemed to be thinking the same thing because at the same time we all sprinted for the tunnel to our right.

I guess we were going to take our chances.

I was the first to reach the tunnel and I didn't hesitate before running down the dim tunnel. I made a bunch of random lefts and rights hoping that I didn't lead us to a dead end. The whole time I was running Archer's hand never left mine. I wanted to look behind me to see if Dylan and Rose were okay or how far behind Jason Mask was but I didn't have the best coordination as it was and looking back was a disaster waiting to happen. So I kept running.

Someone out there obviously cared enough about me because after the next right we came upon another tunnel. As soon as we approached it though we came across another problem. It went left and right.

"Which way?!" I asked frantically. I was bouncing up and down on my toes. I didn't like stopping, not when Jason Mask was probably right behind us.

"Right!"

"Left!"

Archer and Dylan spoke at the same time.

Dylan groaned. "We don't have time for this. We need to split up, it'll better our chances. Me and Rose will go left, you and Archer go right."

I didn't have time to argue or tell Dylan that splitting up was probably the worst idea and that he obviously didn't watch enough scary movies because right after he spoke we heard the heavy hurried footsteps of someone running.

Three guesses on who it was.

With barely a glance back, Archer pulled me toward the right and we were running again.

The last thing I saw was Rose's pink coat before she disappeared with Dylan down the left tunnel.