Chapter Eight

Logan

Logan

Situated on the dock with my feet splashing around in the water, I heard the pitter patter of tiny feet approaching my spot. Pride had me keeping my eyes on the lake, refusing to acknowledge her presence.

"Logan," she whispered, her voice wary and tired. Before I could react and tell her to beat it, I felt her arms wrap around me from the back as she knelt down to my level. "I'm sorry. I am so damn sorry."

I tensed. "Take your words and eat them, Shorty. I don't want to hear them."

I felt like a damn child throwing a temper tantrum, but I didn't care. She was meant to be my number one best friend, yet since the moment I met her, she falsified her character and kept shit from me.

I could practically feel her glare on the back of my head as she unwrapped her arms from my body and sat down next to me. "Don't talk to me that way."

Bowing my head, feeling a little guilty, I mumbled a quiet, "Sorry."

"Why are you so upset? Talk to me."

Stubbornly, and perhaps a bit childishly, I shrugged my shoulders and scooted about a foot away from her, not giving in to her demand.

Don't look her in the eyes, Logan, stay strong.

"Seriously?" She groaned. I heard, more than watched, as her nails dug into the dock in frustration. "Fine. You want to be that way? Two can play this game. If you don't talk to me, I'll let Sprinkles have free reign on your room."

My horrified eyes flew to her triumphant ones. Next came the lip. It jutted out and wiggled pathetically on her face.

"Ugdd. Fine." I blew out a breath and scowled. So much for staying strong. "You want to know why I'm so pissed? Fine!" I yelled and pointed at her. "You were my best friend for years, but tonight I found out that I hardly knew anything about you! You're the first person I open up to, and the only damn person on this earth that I want to know everything about me. What is so wrong with me that you couldn't tell me the truth?"

Sang scowled at me. "You think I didn't tell you the truth because I thought you weren't worthy of it? Get your head out of your ass, Logan. Do you know how long I've wanted to say something? Anything? I didn't tell you because I didn't want your opinion of me to change. I wanted you to like the Sang who was independent, not the pathetic little girl who was easily manipulated by sweet nothings being whispered in her ear."

"You're not pathetic," I mumbled as I kicked at the chilled lake water.

"Not now, but that doesn't mean I wasn't back then," she said with emotion choking her voice. "You and the rest of the guys helped me become the woman I am today. If I hadn't found you guys, I would still be that pathetic little girl."

I grabbed her hand with mine and gave it a small squeeze, not liking the fact that the best person in my life was feeling so down on herself. Swallowing my pride, I said, "Tell me everything."