Chapter Fifteen

Asher

Asher

"Overton! Overton! Overton!" Everyone at the party chanted, Sang's chants being the loudest as she stood on the tailgate of Tarzan's pick-up truck. I shook my head and grinned as she shook her fist in the air and supplied a "hoohoohoo," as well. Tonight was going to be the biggest party of the year and she was all too willing to get the growing crowd pumped up. 

I went to grab her from the back of the truck before she fell off and hurt herself but she decided to take liberty in it herself and jumped off. Her body collided with mine and I had just enough time to wrap my arms around her before she could go careening toward the ground. A quiet grunt reached my ears before she supplied, "Nice catch." Winking, she allowed her body to slowly and teasingly slip down my body until her toes hit the ground. I could have sworn I saw a roguish twinkle in her eyes as she did it. 

I let out a slow breath before forcing a chuckle, studiously ignoring the sudden heat flaring over every inch of my skin. "Thanks." 

She turned to watch the crowd and bumped her shoulder with mine. "I knew you guys could do it," she said. "All that stress over nothing." 

I made a sound in the back of my throat. "I wasn't the one who was stressing. You can blame that on Logan and Corny." Logan liked to cover his own troubles with a good dose of humour, often times in inappropriate jokes, but I knew that he would've been messed up over it if we lost. It was a real bruise to his ego when they beat us the last time. 

Sang laughed. "True. He can never hide his nervousness from us. Remember last week?" I thought about the weird nervous habit of his. He always did this thing where he'd yawn, wiggle his hands in the air like some odd jazzhands sort of gesture, then slowly backed away from whatever confrontation he was facing. He even did it last week when Carla approached him over how he broke off their 'arrangement' over text. Everyone at the table during lunch had gone into loud fits of laughter. 

I smirked and nodded my head. "That's my idiot brother for you."  

Sang linked an elbow with mine and started pulling me in the direction of the keg. "Well I'd say he's doing better now," she replied as she pointed with her other hand. My gaze found Logan's and he winked at me from his position by the fire while he nodded his head at whatever the three women surrounding him were saying. I decided to take a page from my brother's book for once and unhooked my arm from Sang's and threw it over her shoulder instead, pulling her close. I rolled my eyes when Logan's eyes lit up in unrestrained delight while he gave me a thumbs up. 

I looked down to hide my grin when Sang let her hair fall over her cheeks to hide her blush. I opened my mouth to say something, but Lydia came charging our way, two beers in her hands, with a grinning Tarzan right on her heels. I raised an eyebrow when she didn't slow down but instead headbutted my chest. I sighed and asked, "What was that for?"

Lydia took a large gulp of one of her beers and supplied, "I don't know. I was going to give you a high-five for winning, but then I realized my hands were full. I panicked and didn't know what else to do, so that's what you get." Tarzan belly laughed like it was the funniest thing in the world while Sang looked back and forth between them, taking notice of their close positions. Tarzan noticed the sparkling look she had in her eye and immediately cleared his throat, moving away. Interesting.